Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 116

    OUTERHASH Trail #1

    April 26, 2022 in Trinidad and Tobago ⋅ 🌧 29 °C

    Fresh off the Men’s Monday Madness H3 last night, we awoke to another torrential downpour that lasted until just about 12:45 pm. We practiced a little mind over matter, and boarded the busses at 1 pm anyway. There was a bit of confusion about whether trail would happen, but after about a 30 minute delay getting all the stragglers gathered up, we headed out to the run site about 30 minutes away. The run site looked rather dry, but 5 minutes after we set off on trail, once again the rain came down and turned the trail into a slick and sloppy mess.

    After 5 water crossings in the first couple miles, we headed into the recently plowed fields where the water soaked in, but the mud stuck to our shoes like a freshly picked booger, and kept growing with every step. While this helped with traction getting up some steep parts of trail, it also added a lot of weight to our shoes defeating the benefits. Finally reaching the halfway point of 3.5 miles in just under 2 hours, I reached my tipping point (after 8 trails over the past week), and asked the hares (who had been stalking us the whole way up to this point of the prelaid trail) if there was an ejection point that I could find my way back to the on in . . . pointing up the road, they said I could get back. Not sure what was going on in the minds of the rest of the runners pack, but 16 out of 18 others joined me on the escape plan. Zipping down the narrow road, we all made it back to the finish in about 20 minutes. Two stalwart hashers remained on trail and finished the second half . . . 3.5 miles, coming in to the finish nearly 2 hours later. The walkers had finished their trail in about an hour, and had already enjoyed a few beers by the time the first of the runners shortcutted their way home. It was an awesome trail, but rain soaked and muddy, we were happy to have a beer in hand and finished with the trail.

    After all had assembled at the on home, the circle commenced and a few of the more heinous trail crimes were recognized. We then were entertained by a local Trini belly dancer, as the weary pack consumed several more beers. Totally sated with trail woes, and liquid refreshments, we boarded the busses for the trip back into town. Dragging my tired old ass back into the hotel, there were a couple dozen new arrivals hanging out at the Hilton bar, of which I knew several, including my old pal The Penguin, who by this point has already had a few, while explaining how it took him 4 days to get to Trinidad. He offered to buy me a beer, but soon forgot the punch line . . . and I ended up buying a round for him, and a couple others he was chatting with. Anyway, 4 or 5 pints later, I finally slunk my way up to my room for a hot shower and a more horizontal position. Tomorrow is another day, and the busses leave at 9 am, so better call it a night and get some rest. On On.
    Read more