Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 49

    2 different countries, 1 busy day!

    September 14, 2023 in Switzerland ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    We kicked off the morning with our staple breakfast of yogurt, fruit, and granola and decided to get the admin tasks out of the way first. We figured out the Saint-Louis bus system to take us to the local shopping area where we needed to find the cheapest air beds, tarpaulin, and sleeping bags we could (+ groceries) to accompany our Fort William tent for the upcoming camping we had planned in Switzerland. Saving our pennies given the cost of food and accommodation in the villages of the Swiss Alps! We found everything we needed at the hypermarket, brico (like a Bunnings equivalent), and Intersport. It took a little longer than expected though as those stores are truly massive.

    Back at our accommodation, we had a few snacks before jumping on a tram to Basel, Switzerland. It took a little while to make sure we had the correct ticket allowing us to transfer between the two countries, but we figured it out - which is always satisfying to figure out a new cities public transport. The tram ride was comfortable and spotlessly clean, which felt like an immediate introduction to Swiss precision. It seemed like the train was also a big transport method for school kids as German primary aged children filed onto the tram at a few stops. I have to say, having upwards of 30 primary kids screaming German to each across the tram carriages we were in is an overwhelming way to transition to country with a new language - our first time entering a largely German-speaking place.

    In Basel, we found ourselves in the heart of the city, and our stomachs were grumbling. Another TikTok recommendation led us to a multicultural food court called "Markthalle." On the way passing by an open window where an opera student was practicing - the city felt really vibrant and full of culture already! Markthalle, with its fascinating dome roof, was a cool spot and it seemed like a good recommendation because it was clearly a popular place for the local corporate office crowds (I think this is usually a good sign the locals like the food). Of the many cuisines in Markthalle, we chose Sri Lankan cuisine as it was our first time eating it since NZ. It was a welcome taste of home though it was a little sweeter or milder in flavour than Vikum’s family’s cooking. It was a great lunch but it was also our first look at Switzerland's high cost of living. We shared the one large plate and decided to cook most of our meals at home during our stay.

    We then strolled back to Barfüsserplatz, the central square where many tram lines intersect. A small market was underway, and I learned that it had been a commercial center since 1100, with a history dating back to monastery buildings that the square is named after. I admired the diamond patterned paving of the square that made the space feel so tidily decorated next to the colourful, geometric buildings. There was not much to note at this small market which was good for my self-control.

    The Swiss cleanliness was evident throughout the city, from the streets and buildings to the pristine tram system. Everything felt a little more clean and modern than rural and Southern France. However, what was distinctly crisper and cleaner were the Swiss banknotes – they are made of some durable, bright-coloured plastic.

    Our exploring continued with a visit to the Tinguely Fountain, which was hypnotic in it’s chaotic design (see video). And we also took in the beauty of Basel's churches, statues, and fountains. While passing by a school in the Old Town, we heard a school choir singing traditional German tunes that carried through to the streets nearby. It felt surreal and fairytale.

    We explored the beautiful gothic Basel Münster and it’s viewing platform overlooking the Rhine river. We crossed the Mittlere Brücke (bridge), where we enjoyed how the river glittered in the sun. We took a moment to enjoy coffee with a view of the river and the old town, from the sunny northern bank. Expensive coffee but worth the close up view over the river where it was easy to see how fast the current of the river is.

    Walking along the riverbanks, we watched the ferries get helped into the middle of the river by a wire-pulley system in order to win the battle against the strong current. Near the stairs where many people sunbathed we quickly dipped our toes in the water and realised that the water was warmer than expected – or perhaps it just felt like that as we adjusted to the cooler weather.

    Returning across a second bridge we came back to the old town, and found ourselves at Andreasplatz, a charming slightly-hidden square with cozy cafes, bookstores, and a colorful toy store that captured my attention. We spent a while here just browsing through the unique selection of toys, books and games that I hadn’t seen before.

    After popping into a few boutiques and wandering through streets or courtyards with large old trees or well-curated planting, we filled up our water bottle at a city fountain then hopped on the tram to return to our Airbnb. There, we enjoyed a cozy dinner, put away our washing, and settled in to watch some Netflix. Finishing days of exploring with a quiet evening like this, made “travelling” just start to seem normal, and but like it had become our “everyday life”.
    Read more