Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Salineras de Maras, Moray, Chinch. Ruins

    June 13, 2022 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 43 °F

    Jose the taxi driver gave us a great deal (cheap!) and drove us to the Maras Salt Mines and the archaeological site at Moray (and agreed to wait in the car for up to an hour at each). He definitely took "the back way", which meant DIRT roads full of rocks. But I appreciated that he went along with my "despacio" request (most drivers are into going rapido). Dust was flying up through the floorboards, and I wondered if his car could take/make it. I have to admit a thought about Tuco's place from Breaking Bad did cross my mind. Middle of freaking nowhere, and no idea what we'd have done if the car broke down (or apart). But luckily it DID make it and we had a great day and a nice chat with Jose. Thank you Jose!

    The Salineras de Maras is made up of more than 3 thousand natural salt wells near the town of Maras. Each of the wells has a dimension of 5 square meters. The 3,000 pools are fed by an underground hypersaline spring that originated 110 million years ago during the formation of the Andes Mountains. It was cool to watch a family excavating theirs. The salt is sold everywhere - some of it is pink.

    The Moray Incan ruins looks like a Roman amphitheater with it's bowl-shape and concentric terraces. It is thought that this was an agricultural laboratory used by the Incans.
    Read more