Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 99

    Shelter From the Storm

    November 9, 2015 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 8 °C

    A gray day cycling through Raymond to Friant turned into a torrential downpour just after we had resorted to stocking up on Wonderbread and mushroom soup at a gas station in Friant, and our options for camping looked slim as intermittent downpours slowed our progress into the hills. With dusk falling along the Tollhouse Road we started looking for a door to knock on - to ask the owners if we could camp on their land for the night - but found a lot of gates and guard dogs that deterred us.
    Finally, we saw a house without a gate and knocked on the door. Grant, who answered, looked at us puzzled as we made our camping request, but when John and Julie, his parents, came to the door, they kindly agreed, and then invited us in for an omlette dinner and warm tea. Minutes later we felt adopted by the whole family, as Lily, Emma and Grant, the three youngest of John and Julie's six children talked over each other telling us family stories. Luckily for us it was family fun night, so we got to join in with the family and watch Minions with popcorn and smoothies, and chatter some more before turning in to the tent at 10 pm (way past our bedtime!). In the morning the kids headed off to school, and we had breakfast with John and Julie. John had thoughtfully bought us nuts, energy drinks and bars, cheese, apples and more (being a runner himself and wanting to provide us with the right kind of nourishment for our own high output activity) and offered them to us as we were leaving. We feel so blessed to have reached out to this family for so little and been given so much - the warmth, company and generosity of the Owens family brightened our spirits during a low time and greatly helped us for the hilly ride ahead. Thanks again guys!
    Read more