Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    All the other days on the Canal

    September 15, 2017 in England ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    What a lovely way to spend the week. We had two days of motoring with no locks (so there we were - the Lockless Monsters), and then yesterday we were up early to get in the queue for the Fonserannes Locks - a series of 9 locks, only 7 in use - that staircase down (or up) the Canal du Midi. A 17th century feat of engineering it is described as. It was pretty amazing.

    The day before we had a 160m long tunnel (Malpas Tunnel), yesterday just after Fonserannes was the beautiful aqueduct, which you can only see the beauty of if you aren't actually on it, so our photos look like a square bit of canal as opposed to the lovely arches you see if you are either side of the structure.

    We have generally had a routine of motoring along, pulling in to a village to get lunch/dinner provisions, keep motoring, moor on the banks of the canal for the night, sit around admiring the view/keeping out of the wind depending on the day, dinner and bed. We have managed fairly well to fall into the European habit of going to bed latish and sleeping through til about 8.30am,

    Today we head for Agde and will berth there for the night prior to disembarking out boat tomorrow morning and hiring a car to head to the Riviera.

    There are lots of ducks on the canal, so we have taken to calling them "aquaducks".

    Unfortunately, the sun has buggered off again, so it is overcast and windy and chilly. The forecast for the Riviera district is sunny with tops of 23 degrees, which will be a welcome relief. Will have to see if that's too cold for a dip in the Mediterranean?

    The beautiful plane trees which line large parts of the Canal du Midi have been struck by canker and so intermittently large swathes of them have been felled. It is incurable and a real shame as they are beautiful trees, especially as they hang over the Canal. There is a reforestation program in place to replace them with 6 other species of trees. Canker has been spread by people tying their boats to the trucks which has damaged the tree and introduced the infection. Insanely, we will saw a number of boats (owned by locals!) with their boats tied up to the trees. By 2015, over 15,000 plane trees had been cut down due to the disease - it must have looked pretty spectacular when the entire canal was lined by these trees!
    Read more