Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Day 8 - Birthdays, Reefs & Small Town UT

    September 18, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    I woke to a "Happy Birthday" banner hanging in my tent. Cilla and Becky had sneakily hung it while I was enjoying a looong sleep in (relatively... 8.15 am is huge). Apparently I had missed an incredible sunrise over the painted hills we were camped by . Check out the pics.

    As we drove out we met a painter who had his easel set up and was capturing the view in a beautiful impressionist style (acrylic, for the artists who are reading). Our drive along the Burr Trail Road in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument then Capitol Reef National Park was spectacular. Words can't do justice to the rust red cliffs, the seemingly endless switchbacks and the colourful vistas. We saw a sign for a scenic overlook via a slightly rougher dirt track and decided to try it. Worst case, Becky is an expert reverser :) Olaf handled it like a champ (as did the driver, if I may say so myself).

    Arriving at the base of the hike we met friendly Jo who was leading a jeep tour along the same road! He told us the views from the top of 'Strike Valley Overlook' were stunning and boy.he.was.not.wrong. We enjoyed catching up on some Bible readings at the top (we're reading Esther atm!) and then wandered along the cliff edge trying our darndest to take in the magnitude of the view.

    Huge. Majestic. Awe-inspiring. Even those words don't do justice to this 'off the beaten path' look into the Waterpocket Fold of Capitol Reef NP. It was a whole university geology unit rolled into one view. Uplift, monoclines, sedimentary rock layering, rifts and erosion (sorry, went geeky there!). Eventually we snapped our jaws shut and trotted back to the car over rocks and dry creek beds (and via paths dotted with an array of wildflowers springing up post monsoon season). Back along the 'road' and then several hours of dirt and sand tracks through Capitol Reef later we arrived at the highway.

    We wound for several hours past mountains, painted 'dr. Suess' hills (in crazy colours!) and buttes (for the uninitiated these are tall pillars of rock standing alone from the surrounding landscape). Passing through the 'Las Vegas' (and adventure capital) of Utah: Moab, we eventually arrived in Monticello, a small and rural town 1 hr south.

    Here we ate out in a local restaurant before crashing in our AirBnB: a heritage 'storehouse' that had been fully renovated into a beautiful studio space. Cilla and Becky once again sneakily hung the birthday banner and more than a dozen balloons all over! So fun. I was thankful for lots of lovely messages, cards and even gifts that Cilla had squirreled away in her suitcase for me. Here comes another new year. Praying it brings Christ's return and God's Kingdom when the whole earth (and us all!) can be renewed.
    - Nomes
    Read more