Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Ferrol to Pazo da Merced

    May 4, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Finding the zero mile point in Ferrol was easy, as we'd passed it several times the day before. A cafe con leche and a slice of banana cake fuelled the engine and away we went.
    Initially the way weaves through the town streets before taking a turn towards the front just after the Semana Santa figure. But not right out onto the front yet, as the naval base dominates the area.
    Eventually we arrived at the capella Santa Maria which was, of course, closed. But no matter. It made a nice resting point with views across the estuary.
    From then on it's a bit of a trudge to clear the outskirts of Ferrol. A little light relief being found in a nice tunnel under the railway with interesting street art ( graffiti )
    The next place of interest was at the Chapel of San. Martin de Xubia. Also closed.
    After some steepish inclines we were treated to excellent views across the estuary to Nada. The sun was out by now and after crossing the bridge and giving a little nod to the orange albergue, we settled into cafe-bar La Flor de Mayo where we had a warm and genuine pilgrim welcome, along with good food. What a nice bloke.
    By now the sun was out and we were starting to flag. After a little mincing around we found our place for the evening. The Pazo da Merced. It advertises itself, with justification, as "Tradition and Avant-Garde". I had a great room overlooking the estuary, my only criticism being the lengthy walk from the bed to my en suite. I spent three hours looking out from my balcony watching the tide come in as a gentle zephyr troubled the leaves. Bliss. Another bonus of these upmarket rooms is being able to dry your clothes in privacy. Luxury.
    Read more