Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Day 12/72: Elephant Hills Day 2!!!

    November 8, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ 🌧 27 °C

    We woke up in our tent to the sound of the jungle and rain on the roof. After washing and breakfasting (lovely breakfast with pastries and omlettes and a cup of English tea), we joined another couple and a guide and went on our trek through the jungle. We picked up bamboo walking sticks and after being told don't touch anything as it could be poisonous, we were punted across the river to the start of the walk. We wandered through the jungle up a stream, stopping at points along the way to talk about the trees and wildlife in the area. We had a swing on vines that are incredibly springy and can hold even Tom's weight and learned about bamboo, palm and many other plants and their usages.

    We walked and scrambled in the rain for about an hour and a half, and then came to a large open sided hut, where a couple of other guides were preparing lunch. We sat and tasted ingredients, and learned how to cook bbq pork with a spicy sauce, fresh coconut and chicken soup and scrambled eggs over an open camp fire. It was all delicious! Also learnt about all the uses of coconuts, and attempted to get all the meat out of one...

    We then wandered back to the camp, re crossed the river, and chilled out with a watermelon shake until it was time to go. We both absolutely loved the Elephant Hills experience, it'll be a highlight of the whole trip.

    We made the 3 and a half hour journey back to Patong and got reaquainted with the hostel. Then we wandered down to the beach for a quick swim and sight see, having not been down there yet. It was mega busy (the busiest beach in Phuket) but the sea was relatively empty and the sun had just set over a hill casting a red glow over the sea. That evening, we wandered to Bangla Road, the busiest road in Phuket with bars stalls and clubs lining the street. There must have been at least 20 different bars all with live bands playing, with each singer sounding very much like the artist of whichever song they were singing and switching voices alarmingly well. The road itself was full of drunk tourists, and salesmen and holiday reps. It was worth going just to see that side of the island. Tomorrow: the Phi Phi Islands!
    Read more