Satellite
Show on map
  • Friday, 29th and Saturday, 30th May

    May 30, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    Friday saw a return of the council truck with another load of crushed rock. As happened on Thursday, several more loads were delivered and shovelled into the damage in the road. At some stage we will go and inspect the work to see if there's been any attempt to stop the water getting onto the road and causing the damage. If there hasn't, we will again notify the council that this needs attention.

    Friday also saw the Cole family visit. First time we have seen the Cole grandchildren since February. The morning was spent making up beds etc. then off to do some extra food shopping. They left Melbourne after school (which is still done at home but the boys tell me they do a full day with various classes much as if they were at school) and arrived around 7.45pm. They brought their new puppy, Coco, and when she was too energetic for old Molly, Molly just retired outside in peace as little Coco could not push hard enough on the doggy door.

    Up early Saturday morning to collect some new mattresses from Stolz Furniture store to replace the old ones at their Mt Buller apartment. We managed to get the mattresses safely up the mountain, then, with some difficulty and hilarity, up the lift and into the apartment. We then found the new mattresses were so much higher than the awful old foam ones that if you lay on the bottom bunk you could not turn over without doing an injury to your shoulder on the underside of the top bunk. Candice decided it was time for new bases and to dispose of the old bunks - much better to have great mattresses!

    On the way home stopped at a local winery. I had been told they were making room for the next vintage and had some reasonable wines selling at $2 and $4 per bottle. Two boxes should keep us going for a while.

    After a cuppa with John, who is showing improvement each day, the rest of us visited both waterfalls. This was followed by some driving lessons for Bailey and Hugo in the very old manual Toyota Hilux. Great fun. Whilst they found the clutch and gear changes a little tricky they did very well. I did set the ute in low range 4wd so it couldn’t go too fast but I was surprised at how well they did. Home for some home grown corned beef for dinner (couldn’t manage the crumble made with some home grown rhubarb) and a pretty early night.
    Read more