Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Famine ship

    June 2, 2015 in Ireland ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    Freezing and wet, we walked along the River Liffey. Moored at Custom House Quay is a replica of the three masted barque, the Jeanie Johnston. At the time of the famine in Ireland, she took Irish emigrants to North America. She went to Quebec, Baltimore and New York.
    She made sixteen voyages in all, taking emigrants to North America, returning with timber. The voyages averaged 47 days. In all those journeys, not one crew member or passenger was lost. At the end of the maiden voyage, there was one extra passenger - a baby boy was born on the voyage.
    This successful record was attributed to the caring attitude of the captain, James Attridge, and the on board doctor, Richard Blennerhassett.
    Much of our time in Dublin was spent walking, walking, walking - to one of the many pubs that claim to be Ireland's oldest or just generally wandering the streets looking at the many lovely parks.
    There is a statue commemorating Molly Malone and her barrow. She has the shiniest boobs! It seems that boys like to give them a rub. They say it's for good luck but they would say that, wouldn't they?
    Tomorrow morning we pick up a car and head off.
    Read more