Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 299

    Now for the inside.

    May 26, 1997 in Australia ⋅ 9 °C

    The first thing to organise internally was the plastering. I had called three plasterers but when I said it was steel frame and ten foot ceilings, two weren't too interested. Graham 'Grubby' Holland said “no worries”. He organised to come out and measure up.
    Before the plaster went on, the exterior walls needed to be insulated. We used GeenStuf wall insulation batts from North East Insulation. They are made from 80% recycled materials. Ceiling insulation will be wool, blown in once the sparkies and plumbers have finished.
    The plasterers were a team of six, working in three pairs.
    Because of the higher ceilings, Janette wanted a wider cornice than 'normal'. She shopped around in Melbourne and found one she liked at a place on Dorset Rd. She brought it to Molyullah on roof racks on the top of her car.
    At the top of the internal stone walls, David laid a row of bricks. This gave the plasterers a good flat surface for the cornice.
    As the plasterers finished for the weekend, Grubby pointed to the top left of the chimney in the study. He explained that if he put up the cornice, it would be slightly out of balance with the right hand side. He said if I could chisel away a bit of stone, it would look a lot better. He showed me what needed doing and that was my weekend 'homework'.
    It's nice to get fussy tradies. The stonies said they had never seen such a fussy plumber as ours.
    Read more