Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 282

    A surprise visit.

    September 8, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    On 7th September we were pleasantly surprised to be told the Mellers were driving down and would arrive tomorrow (Friday) and attend the fish'n'chip night.

    An agenda that included some tourism and some work was devised.

    Despite the inclement weather, the fish'n'chip night was quite busy. To top it off, Janette won the raffle for a $50 voucher to the Tatong Tavern.

    On Saturday morning we drove down to the Violet Town market and had a browse before having lunch at Tallis winery, Dookie. This is the best time of year to enjoy the Canola blossoms and the winery is on a high vantage point.

    The return drive to Benalla was through part of the Silo Art Trail - Devenish and Goorambat. Then, dinner at the Tatong Tavern.

    Sunday was a work day. We started to cut down the huge fig tree at the old dairy.

    Back to being tourists on Monday. First up Milawa and a visit to the cheese factory with a tasting of twelve cheeses - most informative. After buying some cheese, we popped next door to the bakery and bought some bread. The Wattle Tree gift shop in the same complex was the next call.

    A tasting at the mustard shop was very interesting and informative. The mustard shop is now located in the old butchery. A browse around the Olive Shop and a tasting at Brown Bros Winery completed our look at Milawa.

    Lunch at the King River Cafe in Oxley was most enjoyable (as always).

    A drive along the King River Road took us to Lake William Hovell. It was then a short drive back to Chrismont Wines for a coffee and to enjoy the views.

    Once home, Trish suggested we should check the cows. Just as well she did. One of the first calvers, 2109, had started to calve but was evidently not progressing. I called for Janette to come over and bring the spotlight as daylight was quickly fading.

    We got 2109 into the crush and managed to pull the calf. We don't think she would have calved unassisted.

    A big day!
    Read more