Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Doubtful Sound - No doubt about it.

    November 25, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 5 °C

    Today we're booked to go for a cruise on Doubtful Sound.

    First - what's the difference between a fjord and a sound?

    “A fjord is an underwater valley carved by glaciers. Generally narrow, with steep-sided mountains on either side, these U and V shaped valleys were carved by ancient rivers of ice which have since disappeared. Because these valleys are below sea level, they have been inundated with sea water, creating the fjords we see today”

    “Like a fjord, a sound is a valley that has been filled with sea water. However, a sound is usually formed by the flooding of a river valley, not a glacial valley. This means that the topography is usually less narrow and more gently sloping than a fjord, but it is no less spectacular.”

    “Doubtful Sound Patea spans a staggering 40 kilometres (25 miles) from the head of the sound to the Tasman Sea. It is the deepest of New Zealand’s 14 sounds and its immense size leaves all who visit feeling humbled yet uplifted by its powerful physical presence.”

    “The sound branches into three arms which provide opportunities for scenic cruise boat passengers to explore up-close sheer cliff faces, impressive waterfalls and tranquil overnight moorings. Doubtful Sound Patea also provides shelter to New Zealand’s southernmost population of bottlenose dolphins and tawaki, the Fiordland Crested Penguin.”

    “Spend just a short amount of time immersed in Doubtful Sound Patea and it is easy to understand why early Māori named the sound, Patea - meaning ‘place of silence’. Here, visitors find silence amongst a dramatic landscape with echoing birdsong or cascading waterfalls the only sound to break the stillness.”

    At one point the Captain turned off the boat's engines and asked everyone to be silent for a couple of minutes - quite an experience!

    “With no road to the fiord, the experience of getting to Doubtful Sound Patea is an adventure in itself. Doubtful Sound Patea is only accessible to visitors by a tour excursion departing from Manapouri.”

    So, bus, Te Anau to Manapouri (20 minutes), catamaran to West Arm (1 hour), bus across Wilmot Pass to Deep Cove (45 minutes). At Deep Cove we boarded our catamaran for our three hour cruise.
    Read more