Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    19. Black Forest's high road

    February 23 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 7 °C

    After a quiet and undisturbed night for our first stop over in Germany , we woke up to sunshine ! First sun we have had so far on our trip .
    We decided to embrace the sun and drive further along the Black forest . The roads were great fun to drive and very scenic .
    Along the way , we spotted a ski slope , so we decided to pull over and have a little look . There was a toboggan run there , but it was sadly closed today , which was gutting.
    We drove through the forest for another 10 miles and spotted another ski slope centre, with a natural history museum on site . There was also a ski jump centre , which looked seriously good fun, but a little daunting
    We decided to take Maddy on a good walk to the top of the slopes and through the woods , we wanted to get to a lake but after seeing it high up and the murky colour we decided to walk the other way.
    James took over the driving as we were already half way on this lovely road and it wasn't fair for me to drive all the fun parts.
    After reaching the end of the black forest Road, we ended up at a campervan service point to top up water etc. We then discovered that this was also a swimming pool car park and decided to go for a swim !
    The swimming pool was very impressive , there was 3 pools it had two really fun slides and a diving pool , with a climbing wall at the end of it . We spent pretty much all of our time on the slides and a while in the 32 degree outdoor pool . The slides were so cool as there was a screen displaying how quick you were going and ranked you compared to all the others that had been on that day. James got 27 kph down one of them!
    The showers there were amazing too , we felt super fresh afterwards.
    The car park wasn't exactly pretty and by the time we left , there were loads of other campers parking up for the night , so we decided to drive 20 mins back towards the forest and park up at a more scenic and private place . We ended up in a village called Rotweill , which , as you can guess by the name , is where the Rotweiller dog breed was bred .
    Once the van was all levelled up , time to cook some supper , but to our disappointment , the gas had run out . On the positive side , at least we now know not to trust our gas meter !
    After a gin, we couldn't drive as Germany has a 0% limit, so James was a beaut and cycled to the nearest village in freezing temperature to pick up some pizza. Finally, time to eat!
    Read more