Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 55–57

    Bali, Province of Indonesia, Day 1

    March 1 in Indonesia ⋅ 🌧 88 °F

    So exciting to arrive at the Bali Port of Benoa which is a province of Indonesia, Bali is an island of approximately 4.3 million people, about 80% Hindu, and is known as the island of 50,000 temples (at least).

    Religion is inextricably woven throughout every aspect of daily life - morning, noon., and night.

    Homes have elaborate micro-temples that inspire daily offerings, ensuring dharmic (right action) in thoughts and actions. Likewise, the small businesses in each community have little alters with incense burning to remind all of the sacredness of life. Each community features larger temples that function as the center of life where devotion. prayer and celebrations happen all the time. Temples Everywhere!

    On day one, we took a city excursion, visiting the Pasar Badung Market - 4 stories of exotic fruits & vegetables, meats, clothing, eggs, goods for offerings, etc.

    Following the market, we visited the Ngiring Ke Museum Bali. At this very location, the Balinese were having a major (thousands and thousands of people) celebration - Ogoh-Galungan - which added to the cultural immersion as we were jostling through a sea of Balinese participating in many activies including a parade where the men shouldered giant depictions of Hindu gods. The massive event celebrates the victory of dharminc (good) actions over adharmic actions.

    We returned to the Neptune, showered, and immediately took an evening excursion to the Hyatt in Sanrur for dinner and a Balinese dance show depicting the Ramayana. Beautiful hotel and show.
    Read more