Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Day 3 Safari heading to Hippo

    June 2, 2023 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 55 °F

    On our way to see the Hippopotamus, we saw Lion, Giraffes, Zebras and Elephants!

    As we drove along the national park road, we came across some droppings and then the buffalo (that looked like water buffalo) were asking skittish and nervously looking around. Then Paul heard the Babboons screeching/yelling through the jungle, sending out warning signals to the rest of the animals that the lions were near by.

    Our tour guide, Paul looked over his shoulder back and forth then turned into the day-time picnic area and there were 3 lions, about 3-4 years old. They were casually strolling through the picnic area sniffing the bar-b-que pits. We understand that these 3 lions are brothers.

    There is another pride of lions over several tolling hills away. Again I need to watch the Lion King movie again.

    We took a 2 hour boat ride thru the estuary and spotted H.u.g.e. hippopotamus several times. We saw crocodiles and several South African bald eagles.

    Now we are headed to the “largest mall in the Southern hemisphere in 1982” to meet up with Eric and Susan.

    We’ve had some cell phone chip problems but we got all sorted out at the rest stop/potty stop and to purchase a “wimpy hamburger”

    We’ve had Paul as our tour guide for the past 3 days. And now for a 4 day visit with Eric and Susan. We’ve know them for 45 years as Eric was in Northwest Bible Church with me back in the 1970’s. Glenn and I took mom and dad down to Austin along with baby Ellen for their wedding.
    Read more