Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 172

    Teaching English as Volunteers

    January 19, 2020 in India ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Chorha is a tiny rural village surrounded by rice fields close to Bodghaya. Monday to Saturday we saddled our "classic" bicycles to teach the local kids aged 6-11 basic English.

    We have to admit it was a time of mixed feelings. On one hand it was exactly the inspiring, rewarding and challenging experience we were searching for: to be received every day by smiling happy kids whose families can't even afford proper shoes; to teach on a carpet on a sandy floor because there aren't enough classrooms; to explain a foreign language to kids who don't even have elementary skills nor understand you unless your gestures and drawings; to motivate yourself to give one's best to the students because the manager of the school doesn't; this all together taught us humility and humbleness.

    One of the unforgettable highlights was the celebration of Vasant Panchami. It's the most important holiday for students because it's dedicated to goddess Saraswati, their goddess of knowledge, language, music and arts. That day a Brahman came to our school to arrange a special prayer ("puja") to seek the blessing of the goddess. It included a fire inside (!) the classroom and shared food for everybody. Furthermore on the 26th of January we celebrated the Republic day together. The students sang different songs including the national anthem whilst hoisting the national flag. It was lovely to see the kids enjoying their Jalebis - a traditional Indian sweet.

    On the other hand we have to mention how upset we got, when we realized that most of the money that several fundraisers collected goes into the managers family and home. Sadly after 2 weeks we concluded our project, because the priority for the school's founder was never to build a school where villagers receive a good education.
    Read more