Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    PORTO

    April 10 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    We parked our bikes for a 2nd day in Aveiro and hopped on a short train ride to Porto for a day...the 2nd largest city in Portugal and a popular tourist destination. The moment we arrived, we were greeted by the iconic bridges, lively streets, and historical monuments. Our first stop was the Porto Cathedral, a majestic structure with intricate details reminiscent of Romanesque, Gothic, and Baroque-style architecture.

    Porto's rich history dates back to the 4th century BC when it was established by the Celts and called "Cale." The Romans conquered the Iberian Penisula around 200 BC, transforming it into an influential commercial port, then the Moor invasion left their Islamic legacy on just about every aspect of culture: language, agriculture, architecture, and art; then came the Asturians, then Portugal's independence as shipbuilding grew the port in the 15th c, and so began the exploration "Age of Discovery" for the next two centuries, then Spain's king making way for Porto's golden age in the 18th century and port wine it's gold. Napolean tried to take it in the early 19th c. until the Liberal Revolution started in 1820. Fun fact: J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter and the Philsopher's Stone at the historical Majestic Cafe after she moved to Porto 🤓

    As we made our way through the narrow, cobbled streets, we were drawn to the charming neighborhood of Ribeira, which runs parallel to the Douro River. The area is lined with colorful townhomes, small bars, and eateries serving classic Porto fare of grilled sardines, Alheira, a smoked sausage dish, and the famous Francesinha, an open-face sandwich made with layers of ham, sausage, and steak – all smothered in melted cheese and a special tomato and beer sauce. Yumm! However, I did not try any of these and instead opted for their version of Avocado Toast.

    Feeling like true tourists, we decided to take a Rabelo cruise. A rabelo is a wooden, Viking-inspired boat historically used to transport wine and cleverly repurposed as a tour boat. Our first boat's engine failed, but the crew quickly switched us to the party Rabelo, and for the next hour, we cruised to Portuguese music under all the city's bridges to the mouth of the Atlantic Ocean and back. The scenery and the iconic bridges were even more beautiful from the river. We were grateful for the opportunity to experience such a vibrant and pretty city and learn it's history.
    Read more