Uydu
Haritada göster
  • Gün 6

    The Highlands of Scotland

    25 Ağustos 2018, İskoçya ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    FUN FACTS:

    What we know to be "infinity scarves" are called "snoods" here Scotland! I had to buy one when I misplaced my favorite scarf somewhere! 

    Sheep are everywhere in the Highlands ... dyed different colors to identify ownership in shared co-op for grazing.

    They highlands were heavily populated prior to all the battles. Very little Gaelic is spoken anymore ... especially in the Lowlands. They have both languages on the road signs where it is still spoken. And so ... Glaschu is the Gaelic for Glasgow.

    The Carrick Golf Course ... sees many pro tournaments played there ... but otherwise its members only with a 72 year wait list. No transfers. The only way to get a membership is if someone leaves or dies. 😟

    The folk lore of Scotland is so very enchanting!! The Scots are known to be very superstitious. For example, Glen Coe ... is the glen of the weeping stone (thought to be the tears of MacDonald Clan!) and is used in the opening shoot of the Outlander series. This part of the Highlands proudly boasts the three sisters peaks of Faith, Hope and Charity. Interesting, the town is called Glencoe ... small 'c' but the glen is big 'c'.

    Apparently you don't want to claim your Clan Campbell heritage if you are on Clan Macdonald land! There are public places where it is written that Campbells are not welcome!

    The size of the church tells you the size of the towns in the Highlands! Small town = small church. However ... the latest research states that those living in Great Britain are 70% non religious. 

    And there are numerous swing bridges ... to accommodate the water traffic at the expense of the road traffic! A risk you take when travelling by car. It could cost you 5 to 35 minutes delay if the bridge swings before you! 

    The Highland Games were being played in one of the little towns "Drum" something. We learned that one of the strictest rules is that you MUST be wearing a kilt in order to participate!

    There is also 96 mile walk along the base of the highlands ...... called the "West Hoghlands Way". It starts in Milngavie... passes through Loch Lomond and goes on to Fort William. We could see people with back packs making their way! Who knew the Scots have their own Camino trail? 😊

    GAHS: Emmm ... (oh my ...I'm starting to write with a Scottish drawl!) ........ it occurred to me while we were on this trip that Scotland is where our Scotch Pines come from! Duh. Gah. I know. It seems obvious now ... but I never connected the dots. I mean ... I have never thought about a tree's origin before. I still have no clue where Blue Spruce originated?? Anyone? And, apparently ... the Scots Pine (as they call it here) it is one of the hardiest trees ... grows almost anywhere and bears the most exceptional woods.

    GRINS: At Urquhart Castle ... the time frame was incredibly tight and we had to meet to embark for the Loch Ness cruise. With 47 people on the bus ... the likelihood of people being late is as high as the hills! And so ... our driver mentioned... dare I say 25 times that we needed to be on the dock by 2:25pm ... lest we 'miss the boat'.... literally! And ... I laughed out loud when John wondered if he should be the timekeeper!!! Ha ha ha!! Not. One. Chance. 🙄

    GASPS: Passing other big tour buses on mountain passes and lakeside roads! There were a few times we met and we had to back up and stop to allow them to pass. The rest of the time our lady driver drove at the speed of Nascar... despite the curves and lack of shoulders! 

    Oh ... and I gasped persistently when rounding corners and coming unexpectedly upon bicyclers on these narrow roads!! I found myself thinking that they were clearly putting their lives at risk to share this tiny road with motorists. I had no idea how psychic my intuitions were! 😔

    GRATITUDES:
    Oh my ... the weather for today's excursion could not have been better ... a "bonnie, bonnie" day ... it was warm, clear, sunny and wind free!

    We thoroughly enjoyed the Loch Ness Cruise ... along the 23 miles long and 3 miles wideexpanse of this infamous lake. It's do deep that you could submerge the Eiffel Tower in it. The water looks black. They say it is essentially it's own glen with sunlight penetrating only the first 120 feet. With peet on the bottom. 

    And although there have been about 1000 sightings ... we did not see the monster (affectionately named "Nessie") in the loch. BTW: "Inver" means the mouth of .... so, Inverness is at the mouth of Loch Ness. Loch= lake.

    Ben Nevis is the highest peak in Great Britain. At 4406 feet high ... there are only 60 days per year in Scotland where the summit can only be seen.. We got lucky enough to see it!!!  We also learned that Bananas are discouraged to be taken by hikers or climbers because the peels are not biodegradable... and ... in this climate they just get really slippery and make footing precarious. Who knew that a healthy snack could be dangerous on a mountainside! 

    Got to taste another Scottish specialty today ... Scotch Broth. A hearty soup filled with chunks of carrots, sweet potatoes, turnips, maybe some peas and lots of pearl barley. Very satisfying.

    John got to enjoy free Scotch Whiskey samples at lunch.

    And ... I'd be remiss not to mention how grateful I was for the timely bathroom stops on our 12 hour travel day! I was also grateful for my wee little credit card sized charger so I could keep my phone alive for the duration!

    GRIPES: Once again ... more of a gratitude than a gripe ... but we did not make it all the way to Inverness so, we did not get a chance to see Jamie and Claire. There was a fatality on the road ... and there is only one road in and out. They expected the road to be closed for 8 hours ... so ... we turned back and retraced our steps to get back to Glasgow. The fatality involved a motorbike and a bus like the one we were on. Our driver said that on beautiful days, they can count on seeing the motorbikes out in record numbers. My premonition was realized. Although I am sorry we didn't get to see all the places on our tour, I am so darn grateful that we remained safe and sound on these narrow roads.

    And ... we got to do a good deed! On our way back we passed another crash. A father and son who were in that accident needed a lift because there is only one taxi in the nearby town and it was out transporting the other accident victims home. We are so happy we had three extra seats so we could give them two!!!

    And I am graeful we arrived safe and sound on our last day here in Scotland! All in all ... we've enjoyed such a great taste of Scotland! Tomorrow we head off to Ireland. Talk to you soon ... k & j
    Okumaya devam et