Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 73

    Kiwi Exp.-Invercargill to Milford Sound

    July 1, 2015 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Despite travelling in winter and there being times we have been battered by the wind and rain, on days when we have wanted, even needed, the weather to be clear and calm, it has been so. So once again good fortunate literally shone down on us as after the rough weather from Dunedin the skies cleared and the sun shone brightly for our journey to the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Milford Sound. However we could not initially realise our luck due to leaving Invercargill in early morning darkness due to the roundtrip back to Queenstown requiring 13 hours.

    Snow white mountains edged closer across the dawn coated vista as the alpine landscape of the previous week began to return into view. Clouds floated under the peaks of the granite giants as we descended into the Fiordland National Park, where Milford Sound is situated. A mist hung over the sun lit valley floor as we examined the Mirror Lakes, where a slight breeze rippled the waters as the mountains were reflected back up at us. The temperature was cold under the shadowed canopy of moss covered trees that are fed by cascading waters from the mountain tops.

    Historically access overland to Milford Sound confounded bureaucrats and explorers for decades. Even when a pass was eventually identified, it was so difficult that only the most capable of climbers could accomplish it. Eventually it was agreed that the only practical way of gaining access would be through, rather than over, the mountains and in 1935 work began on the Homer Tunnel. 1.2km in length, taking nearly 20 years to complete and costing a number of human lives, it was built for the sole purpose of tourism. Once through this testament of human will power we descended toward Milford Sound, which lay shimmering like a steel plate below us. We felt as if we were entering a hidden kingdom as we twisted down the switchback road and 1000ft sheer granite walls towered around us.

    Once down onto the valley floor, we ventured to The Chasm where the full force of the Cleddau River is thrust through a deep slot canyon, its rock face curved and bowled like ice cream run through with a spoon. Its sculpted surface created by rock brought down into the chasm by the river to bounce around inside the canyon like marbles in a washing machine. Blue water gushed under the bridge we stood upon to thunder down into the canyon, filling the air with its roar…
    Read more