Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 78

    Kiwi Exp. - Lake Tekapo to Christchurch

    July 6, 2015 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 10 °C

    The mountains slipped off the horizon as we entered the Canterbury Plains on our way to Christchurch. Driving through this great farming belt Bods explained that there not enough farmers in New Zealand to farm the available land so workers from overseas are arriving to do this. New Zealand certainly appears to offer a good quality of life with its free education, healthcare and array of benefits, however taxation and the cost of living can be high. Yet as Bods put it 'if you want all these things, someone has to pay for it'.

    In 2011 Christchurch was struck by a magnitude 6.3 earthquake which took the lives of 185 people, injured thousands more and severely damaged the city's buildings to the extent that huge swathes of the eastern part of the city no longer stand. The city is now slowly rebuilding itself but despite the large presence of construction there is still a heavy sense of loss in the large open areas where buildings once stood. Although other buildings remain standing they are not habitable and lay victim to graffiti, dust and decay.

    The loss is most poignant at the memorial to the 185 people killed by the quake. Titled '185 Empty White Chairs' it demonstrates the individuality and diversity of those who died. From babies to the elderly, from New Zealanders to Europeans and Asians. As the quake struck at midday when people were outside many were killed by buildings and debris falling onto the streets.

    Nearby stands 'The Cardboard Cathedral', which has been constructed as a transitional place of worship following Christchurch Cathedral being severely damaged. As it's titled indicates, it is partially constructed using cardboard tubing coated in polyurethane. The stained glass triangular panels at the building's face incorporate images from stained glass in the Christchurch Cathedral.

    Historically Christchurch was built to be the most English city outside of England and the architecture and street names reflect this. Unfortunately now it is mostly the street names that remain. Many of the historical structures have been claimed by the quake and those that remain are dressed in steel to keep them standing. Art projects have sprung up to fill some of the open space, which brings a sense of hope for the city's future.
    Read more