Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 102

    Agnes Water

    July 30, 2015 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    In the glorious sunshine of Queensland we took another surf lesson out by the 'point break' (totally down with the lingo dude) on Agnes Water's main beach. This offered a great succession of waves for us to try and further our very basic surfing skills. Under the tutelage of Status Quo's missing member, Gorm, and the face of XXXX Gold, JD, we went grinning from ear to ear to be battered and splattered by the tide.

    Marching out with boards under arm we pushed through oncoming waves, trying not to lose ourselves in the current. Lining up with our fellow pupils, we bobbed in the water, watching the rising swell of an incoming wave, anticipating the power it would bring. Trying to clear our minds of adrenaline so when the moment came we could fluidly put into action the techniques we had learnt, we paddled hard for shore as the white water caught up with us. Time and again we popped up from
    our boards to try and ride out the wave without nose diving and collapsing into the torrent.

    Second time round we felt we had more confidence but it still took persistence and patience. But when success came it was brilliant. Alex remembers achieving this at the same time as the another pupil next to him and them both looking at each other laughing with success and pride.

    Peeling out of our wetsuits as the sun's warmth quickly dried us, we munched on a tuna sandwich to re-energise our tired bodies and showered the sea and sand off our bodies. In quick time we went back out to tour the local area for wild wallabies on scooters with 'Scooteroo', a company of bikers that made us look like a poor man's 'Sons of Anarchy'. It was as hilarious and brilliant as it sounds. Neither of us have ever ridden anything more powerful than a push bike and it was a steep learning curve. After we wobbled around the training circuit it was time to try the open road. Kim chose to ride 'koala' on the back of the one of staff's motorbikes, which thundered down the line of scooters to whip the air through her hair and around her leathers. Meanwhile Alex scootered it up like a Jax Teller wannabe (he was not but no wallabies were harmed so it all ended ok).

    After seeing the wallabies we rode to the marina at Bustard Bay to eat hot potato wedges as the sun bowed out over the water. The air was filled with the sounds of throttle and the smell of petrol as we accelerated back to Agnes Water. The sun glinted off the scooter's chrome and the wind feathered our faces. A brilliant end to a brilliant day.

    (There should be more photos coming but these are all we have on our phones at the moment)
    Read more