Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 114

    Townsville

    August 11, 2015 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 20 °C

    Due to some inconsiderate guests we got a disturbed night's sleep at our hostel, something we expect but never come to accept when backpacking. You can be anywhere in the world but a noisy dickhead is still a noisy dickhead when you are woken up in the middle of the night.

    Whilst Alex went to investigate, Kim fired off a double barrelled email to management. The result got us a sincere apology and a free upgrade to an ensuite for the next two night's stay. Lesson - don't mess with Kim's sleep.

    Our lost sleep quickly forgotten we set out to explore sleepy Townsville. We started by hiking up Castle Hill for views over the town and bay. We took the Cudtheringa trail, which a sign informed us took 1420 steps or just over 1 km to reach the summit. Although we have hiked steeper and longer climbs, the powerful sun quickly sapped our energy. With our boots grinding into the stone staircase and heads down under the beating sun, we quickly forgot we were in a town. The trail of fiery red rock bordered with wisps of bush and deathly pale gum trees echoed postcard images of the Australian 'outback'.

    We were a sweaty mess once we reached the summit but the effort was worth it. We rested in the shade, guzzling water as a cool breeze and a sense of achievement feathered over us. We gazed out over balmy Townsville and the glittering bay. Out to sea, container ships drifted from their harbour port whilst inland dense bush fire smoke rose to block the horizon.

    Descending back down Castle Hill, the 'outback' disappeared as quickly as it had arrived. The trail ended in a cul-de-sac of expensive suburbia and we walked past large expensive properties on our way down to the sea. There, on a preserved naval redoubt, we stood at 'Kissing Point' we looked out upon diamond waters. Bright flowers, lit by the sun and their natural colour, bloomed in the foreground whilst a crescent moon of beach arched away to the north. A hawk stole its way along the shoreline
    as we soaked in the day.

    Back down from 'Kissing Point' we lunched in the gardens of a man made lagoon whilst families and bird life flittered around us. We walked the length of The Strand, a colourful promenade of art, playgrounds and cafes. At the corner of the historic Flinders Street, rusting Victorian verandas and stone facades mingled with the intricate roots of giant fig trees and even a waterfall.

    Our day was sealed with a very enjoyable dinner of 'Kanga Bangas' (kangaroo sausages) with sweet potato mash and snow peas. Awesome.
    Read more