Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    The famous bridge which isn't

    September 12, 2017 in France ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    The much photographed bridge close to Avignon, the Pont du Gard was built as a Roman aqueduct some 2000 years ago. True, a bridge was incorporated into the original structure as recently as the 18th century, but it is now closed off to all but pedestrian traffic. After breakfast we headed off in the minibus for the 30 minute drive to Pont du Gard, all of it through picturesque grape-growing countryside.

    Even though we sort of knew what to expect, ones first glimpse of the famous viaduct is really quite something. The whole area is now a UNESCO site, so is preserved and protected. We started at the very modern museum and interpretation centre, which has been beautifully set up, and where our guide explained the history and engineering behind the aqueduct. The statistics are quite staggering. The aqueduct is the only remaining one of 17, which formed part of a system to deliver up to 30000 cubic metres of water per day 50km over mountainous terrain from a natural spring at Uzès to Nîmes. After spending an interesting time in the interpretation centre we headed off to the viaduct itself. At the very top of the structure there is the water-pipe itself, constructed from stone and fully enclosed. We were able to walk through from one end to the other. Everywhere one looks there are spectacular views of the aqueduct and its surroundings. A wonderful experience all round.

    We then headed back to the boat, where we cruised to our next stop while enjoying another beautiful lunch accompanied by a very nice local rose. What a life. We ruised for about 90 minutes and moored at the small historic village of Alamon. Bikes were available, but Brian decided to walk with a couple of others to the village, about ten minutes away. It turned out to be a bit of a disappointment, historic but not all that interesting. Others who went to the village a couple of hours later reported that they'd found it to be quite lively, so maybe we were simply there too early.

    By then, the eight of us had got into a very nice pattern of pre-dinner drinks at around 7pm (one can start earlier if one wishes), our gourmet four-course dinner at 8pm followed by lively discussion until people star drifting off to bed from around 10pm. It's a tough life.
    Read more