Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    A Walk in Gaudi’s Park Güell

    January 9 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 2 °C

    We heard about a fairytale park with beautiful views of the city and with a World’s Heritage Site designation (1984). Being that Park Güell is another of Gaudi’s creations, we thought that a visit to that park would be a nice way to spend our last day in Barcelona.

    Once again, it was recommended that we prebook online seniors’ tickets to avoid lineups into Park Güell. That’s what we did but as today was the first day of school after Xmas holidays, the lineups weren’t bad. Up until lately, people could enter the park for free but now there is a fee to enter.

    The park is not that far away from where we are (5km) but up a steep hill. We used our metro pass to catch a bus (# 50) to Catalunya Square and then caught bus #24 to the park’s side entrance.

    We easily wandered for a couple of hours through Park Güell’s 17 hectares. It is one of the largest green spaces in Barcelona with large gardens and interesting architectural features. Something novel around every corner. We had fun trying to spot the green Monk Parrots and their nests in the palm trees,

    There are two sections - one is mainly green spaces and the other is the Monumental Zone which is where we ended up. We started in the green area and enjoyed listening to the echoes of buskers singing great old songs, like my dad’s favourite, The Autumn Leaves and our favourites like Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah and the Beatle’s Blackbird song.

    Park Guell is the size of 13 city blocks and has a viewing terrace with a magnificent panoramic view of the city and the Mediterranean Sea. The balustrade with seats were built to fit your body. Apparently Gaudi had one of his workers drop his pants and make an impression of his rear end in order to create an ergonomic seat. They are comfy!

    Once again, lots to see - columns, colourful ceramics, a mosaic dragon, a market place and three crosses at the highest point.

    Park Guell was conceived in 1900 by the wealthy industrialist Eusebi Güell. His intention was to create a lavish, Utopian housing development in the middle of a park using the world’s most cutting-edge Barcelona architecture.

    Gaudi was asked to design 60 luxury homes for a planned community far away from Barcelona’s smoky factories – all with the latest technology and a touch of art. In the end, the houses didn’t sell and Park Güell construction was halted in 1914. Only two homes and the park were finished! Guell donated the park to the city in 1922.

    It was a cool but sunny day so we decided to leisurely walk back through the city, all downhill, to our hotel. All in all, we walked 10.5 km.

    Tomorrow, we are going to Monserrat, an old Benedictine monastery, in the mountains. A little planning is needed tonight.
    Read more