Satellit
Vis på kort
  • Dag 14

    Paella, Horchata and Agua de Valencia

    16. januar, Spanien ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    We have learned about three food/drink specialties of Valencia and so far we have tried the first two - paella and horchata.

    1. Valencia is the home of paella. It is one of the largest natural ports in the Mediterranean and has been one of the most important rice-producing areas in Spain. Rice was introduced by the Moors over 1200 years ago. In fact, the Spanish word for rice is ‘arroz’, which is derived from Arabic, not Latin like most of Castilian Spanish.

    Paella was originally a farmers' and farm labourers' food, cooked by the workers over a wood fire for the lunchtime meal. It was made with rice, plus whatever was to hand around the rice fields and countryside: tomatoes, onions and snails, with a few beans added for flavour and texture. Rabbit or duck might also have been added, and for special occasions, chicken plus a touch of saffron for an extra special colour and flavour. Paella was also traditionally eaten straight from the pan in which it was cooked with each person using his own .

    Little by little, as 'Valencian rice' became more widely available, paella recipes were adapted with new variations appearing. With Valencia being on the coast, it is no surprise that seafood has crept into the recipes over the generations.

    2. Horchata is a very popular drink in Valencia, as it is Mexico. Here it is a drink that looks like milk and is made of chufas, which are tiger nuts. In Mexico, rice is used. The nuts or roots are originally from Egypt, but nowadays they grow them in the province of Valencia. Other than chufas, the drink contains water and a lot of sugar. Most of the time, a horchata in Valencia comes with a farton; a sweet kind of pastry that goes perfectly together with the drink. I love Horchata. So refreshing.

    Horchata in Valencia is not just a delicious beverage but the drink also has a lot of benefits. It lowers cholesterol, helps with digestion and decreases gas and bloating. The chufa or tiger nut isn’t actually a nut at all – it’s the root of a wetland plant called a sedge.

    3. Agua de Valencia is the elixir of Valencia - a drink made from orange juice, gin, vodka and cava/champagne. It has been consumed in the city and surrounding area since the late 50's and is usually served in jugs and drunk from champagne glasses.

    Interesting note - In Spain, they don’t have an established tipping culture. While it is possible to tip, it's not expected and it isn't considered rude not to leave a tip. However, most businesses will accept a tip if you'd like to leave one.
    Læs mere