Satelliitti
Näytä kartalla
  • Päivä 29

    The Alhambra

    31. tammikuuta, Espanja ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    The Royal Alhambra Palace was built in the 1200s by a Muslim king named Muhammed Al-Ahmar. He was the founder of the Nasrid Dynasty (the last Muslim dynasty in the Iberian peninsula), and he ruled over the region of Granada for many years.

    However, during the Reconquista (1492 in Granada), the Christians took back Spain from the Moors. The Alhambra Palace was also recaptured during this time and, since then, has been ruled only by Christian kings. Despite this, the architecture of Alhambra has remained predominantly Islamic, making both the interior and exterior exceptionally beautiful to look at.

    Because of its fascinating story, it’s no surprise that the Alhambra is one of Spain’s most visited historical sites. In fact, its history and beauty are so incredible that it’s been made a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

    Two weeks ago, I booked a tour with Get Your Guide, as was recommended by many people- both booking early and booking a tour. Both were good recommendations. Apparently, 3,000 people visit it every day. Wandering around the Alhambra and not knowing what you are looking at wouldn’t be a good idea.

    So we met our guide and 25 other English speaking people at 12 pm. We had to have our passports or ID with us as we were checked three times during the tour. Backpacks and big purses were checked too. We were given headsets so we could hear our guide. Great idea! Now we were ready to enter.

    The Palace of Alhambra is mammoth! The palaces and the grounds sit within a large area, so it takes a fairly long time to walk between and around the sites. For this reason, our tour lasted about 3 hours and we walked 6 km.

    We saw three different areas, starting with the Generalife area.

    Generalife was the recreational residence of the sultan and his family. This villa is located a short distance from the Alhambra and stands out for its gardens, which were once orchards. The most striking part of the Generalife is the main courtyard, which represents the Muslim concept of paradise - lovely walkways, fountains, tall hedges, and giant ancient trees. In the spring/summer, the gardens must be really beautiful when the flowers and rose gardens burst into bloom. We spent around an hour wandering through this peaceful place.

    The second place we visited was the oldest part of the Alhambra - the military fortress of Alcazaba. It is located on the highest point and looks out over the city, so it’s easy to see why this building was chosen as the best location for defense. There is a bell tower that we climbed up via a narrow circular staircase for incredible views over the city of Granada and the valley below. We could see across the valley to the old city wall, the Cave Houses and the San Nicolas viewpoint where we were yesterday. At the base of the tower, was the Plaza de Armas, where we saw the foundations of the quarters where the military forces were housed, as well as some dungeons and a beautiful garden area. This took another hour.

    The final hour was spent in the Nasrid Palaces - the pièces de résistance. The Nasrid Palaces were the primary homes of the Moorish kings, full of typical Muslim architecture with beautiful baths, tilework, and extraordinary Moorish courtyards all with with stunning fountains. You could hear the tourists, ‘Wowing’ as they entered new rooms, each one a gorgeous work of art.

    The Palace of Comares is built around the courtyard of the Myrtles. Its main pool has one of the most famous images of the Alhambra, a gorgeous reflecting pool. In total, three monarchs were involved in its construction. It houses the famous Throne Room, where politics were made, and rooms where parties were held.

    The Palace of the Lions or Harem was the private area of Sultan Mohammed V, who resided here with his family and his harem. Here is the famous Patio de Los Leones, the crown jewel of the Alhambra..

    Every detail in these palaces is breathtaking - the stonework carved into the most beautiful patterns and even the heavy wooden towers carved with beautiful Islamic-style details. It’s hard to believe you’re in Spain and not in Morocco! Those old rulers certainly lived the life of luxury!

    Next to the Nasrid Palaces, we went into the palace of Charles V, (Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand’s grandson) which is a complete contrast. This palace is from the Christian time of the Royal Alhambra, so there are huge differences between the architectural styles. This palace was built in the newer Renaissance style, a far cry from Islamic architecture. However, it’s still extraordinarily beautiful with its expansive circular courtyard, massive columns, and circular ceiling opening where you can see the blue Granada sky. Emperor Charles V decided to build this palace near the Alhambra for his own pleasure and that of his family.

    Although its construction began in 1527, due to a lack of funds and internal revolts in Granada, the Palace was not completed until the twentieth century. It currently houses the Museum of Fine Arts and the Museum of the Alhambra.

    After the tour, we were told that we could stay in the Alhambra until 6 pm, to visit the museum and wander around on our own but we decided that we couldn’t take in much more of all of the Alhambra’s sensual and historical splendour. We had walked up a very steep road to get there and now we had another 3 km walk home so we decided to head back to the hotel We grabbed a quick lunch on the way and then headed home for a well-deserved rest.

    Writing about this place and even our photos do not do this place justice. You have to see it to believe it!
    Lue lisää