Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6–10

    On to Pico Island

    March 14 in Portugal ⋅ 🌬 16 °C

    So now we are ready to visit our fourth out of the nine Azores islands. So far each of the islands have had a completely different feel about them. Surprising considering how close they are to each other. We may have to return to the Azores in the future to explore the last five islands.

    Pico Island, the second-largest in the Azores, is nicknamed the “grey or black island” because it is the most volcanic and basalt-y of them all. Dramatic landscapes with all kinds of lava formations dominate the scenery. It contrasts with the blue of the ocean and the white from the foam of the waves.

    Portugal’s highest mountain, also called Pico, rises 2,351 m above sea level on the west side of the island. When we were in Horta, we could see this huge volcano off and on depending on the openings in the clouds that swirled around it.

    We caught the ferry that would take us from Horta to Madalena at 9 a.m. We were a little worried as there is a ferry workers’ strike going on and the ferry only runs if the weather is good. Stronger winds were forecast for later in the day but luckily all went well and we were able to go.

    The boat isn’t very big - it only holds 12 vehicles and about 300 passengers max. Cars have to back into the hold. The trip between islands was short, only about 30 minutes and we couldn’t see the volcano at all. It was covered in clouds.

    Our BnB, Joe’s Place, is located in the town of Madalena (pop 6,500) about 1 km from the ferry terminal. There are four bedrooms in this 300 hundred year old, traditional Azorean-style house as well as common rooms and terraces looking out over the town. A healthy breakfast is served with regional products in the morning and the owners and their Dutch helper Sophie are very friendly. I think that we are the only ones here now as we haven’t seen anyone.

    Renowned as one of the ten wine-growing regions globally designated as a UNESCO Heritage Site, Madalena proudly holds the title of the Azores’ wine capital. A future footprint will tell more about the island’s wine industry.

    When we arrived, we took a little drive to check out the area and have a coffee before going to the BnB. This island looks intriguing. So different from Faial.
    Read more