Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10–17

    On to Terceira Island for a Week

    March 18 in Portugal ⋅ 🌬 16 °C

    A week ago, we were on Terceira Island for 2 nights. It was really just a stopover before going to Faial and Pico Islands, so today we flew back and will stay here for a week.

    In the morning, we had an excellent buffet breakfast at the hotel, then walked around Horta, picked up some sandwiches and filled up the car with gas before going to the airport.

    The weather reports didn’t look great - rain and winds for our 3:50 pm flight and the flight was delayed for 2 1/2 hours. Azorians are used to this happening and they take it with a grain of salt. No one got excited. They just accepted that it was happening. In fact, one group of young people turned up their music a bit and started dancing.

    We boarded the plane at around 6 pm. It is only a 25 minute flight to Terceira so we just got up above the clouds and then came down.

    We were a little worried about not making our rental car time slot but the company is used to this happening and we had no issue picking up the car.

    The drive to our home stay was only supposed to be about 1/2 hour but it took us a little longer. It was already dark outside when we started out as well as heavy rain and fog. Winding unfamiliar roads and no street lights didn’t help. Chris seemed to be okay but I wasn’t a happy passenger!

    Now, we had another problem - we were starting to get hungry. But where to eat… Lo and behold, on the road ahead of us was a KFC! Now we haven’t eaten at a KFC for years but we didn’t hesitate to stop to eat a meal deal. Lol. We remembered why we haven’t eaten in a KFC in years, but it did the trick.

    Then on we continued. We arrived at the home stay we will be in and entered a ‘museum’. The house is a 300 year old Azorean manor house. Lucilia, the hostess, brought us in and showed us our room on the main floor. The bed frame is from Mozambique and the mattress top comes to my waist. So high. She said that only nobility slept on high beds. We need to use a step to get into it!

    Our sitting room is where the old wine press is. Strange decor - a stuffed bull’s head, yokes, an old wagon, old pottery, and big wine barrels and jars.

    It was getting late and we were tired so we just put on our pyjamas and jumped into that high Mozambique bed. I wonder if any nobility ever slept in it…
    Read more