Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    The Squares of Savannah

    October 21, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 75 °F

    We only intended to make Savannah a quick stopover like all of our other destinations this trip (Florida beckons!) but between my work schedule and just loving the vibe of the place, we decided to stay another day. (The universe agreed as we didn’t even have to change rooms.)

    I looked up a few self-guided walking tours online and settled on one of the Squares of Savannah. Turns out, a big part of the orderly yet laid back vibe of Savannah is due to its original plan laid out in the early 1700’s by James Oglethorpe which, “uses a distinctive street network with repeating squares of residential blocks, commercial blocks, and small green parks to create integrated, walkable neighborhoods.”

    Starting just a few blocks south of the Savannah River waterfront, the city is laid out in an approximate 5x5 grid of over 20 wards. Each ward is 9 blocks (think tic-tac-toe with a park in the center square and buildings in the surrounding 8) so you’re never more than 2 streets away from some little urban oasis—iconic live oaks dripping with Spanish moss, brick-paved walkways, cozy benches, fountains, and statues of historical interest.

    We meandered these squares, walking nearly 8 miles to end up on the waterfront for a pink liquid lunch. After the beauty of the squares, the waterfront felt devoid of any real character (mostly bigger hotels and lots of touristy shops there). It started to drizzle just as we were finishing our wine, which turned into a real downpour just in time for our 6 or so block walk back, during which Donny only almost killed me once jaywalking across 4 lanes of traffic.
    Read more