Satellite
Show on map
  • Easter Island, Chile

    June 11, 2018 in Chile ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Day 4 Part 1, Monday, Jun 11: Easter Island – HISTORY LESSON.
    FIRST A LONG HISTORY/MYTHOLOGY LESSON. Feel free to skip ahead to Day 4, Part 2. Keep in mind much of this is legend and scientific evidence. I am relating not only what I read about but also what the guide told me. There is basically no recorded history of the days of the Moai. Early European visitors recorded the local oral traditions about the original settlers. There are many who believe there was a strong Incan/South American influence on the island: the use of iron for carving and the presence of sweet potatoes (not known in Polynesia).
    Rapa Nui (or Easter Island) is considered part of Polynesia, being the 3rd corner of the Polynesian triangle (New Zealand, Hawaii, Easter Island) which does include Tahiti and Samoa within the triangle. The closest land mass of note is Pitcairn Island but entrance is afforded through 1 or 2 daily flights from Santiago, Chile (only 6 hrs or about 2300 miles) and less frequent flights from Tahiti (2600 miles). It is owned by Chile, even though it is most likely Polynesian (dna analysis of found bones indicated Polynesian). Being a lonely, unprotected island, they asked Tahiti to protect them but Tahiti said Rapa Nui had nothing to offer them in return. So, they asked Chile with the stipulation that land ownership would remain with the natives. To this day, only the natives can own the land but they can rent. While most of the island is covered by black volcanic rock, they do have cattle, horses, and grow a lot of fruits and vegetables. Of course, fish is abundant. The island has very sketchy internet service but everyone has cell phones or walkie talkies. They only have local tv and no movies or videos of dvds.
    Some believe Rapa Nui was first settled around 300-400 A.D., others believe 700 A.D. A Dutchman discovered it in the 1722 on Easter Day and, thus, the name. The history of the island includes famine, disease, civil wars, environmental collapse and more. Presently, there are about 7000 inhabitants. They only have local tv and do not get movies or dvds (except pirated) and very sketchy internet. They have no ports, choosing rather to keep the island natural and the highest structure is the airport control tower. Many Moai (statues) are on private land so they are not open to the public. There are estimated to be over 900 Moai on the island and only 1 statue has been unearthed with legs. It is believed that 1 of the sculptors was trying to prove that it could be done.
    The Moai (statues) were built between 1250 and 1500 CE. They chiefly represent the face of deified ancestors (lsk: or aliens). Most are carved from tuff, compressed volcanic ash. The statues are flat in the back and often have petroglyphs describing the ancestor or story of the clan. More recent Moai had pukao on their heads, which represent the topknot or hair of the chieftains (lsk: or the red hair of the aliens). According to local tradition, the spirit (mana) was preserved in the hair. The pukao were carved from red scoria. Red itself is considered a sacred color in Polynesia.
    Most platforms (ahu) on which the Moai are erected are along the coast and the Moai represent the deified face of ancestors. Hands of the statues with long fingers rest on the lower belly. Only 1 Moai was ever found with the eyes intact. The eyes were the last item carved once erected; they have the white portion of the eye made from coral and the pupil was believed to be obsidian or red scoria (the material for the pukao/topknot). Only a few female Moai have been found. They don’t have legs b/c they do not represent humans but a repository for sacred spirit. (The platforms also house the bodies of ancestors). Many believed that they were symbols of authority, power, both religious and political. With the exception of Ahu Akivi, Moai statues face away from the ocean and towards the villages as if to watch over the people.
    The Moai were knocked down during tribal clashes and over a lack of resources when food became scarce. When famine and bad times hit, the people began to not believe in the power of the Moai. (Note: there are 2 different stories about this but a lack of documentation leads to the speculation.)
    Pictures: 1-2 my room (see flowers outside) 3-path to room 4-5: the ocean, 1 block from hotel
    Read more