Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Québec City - je ne parle pas francais

    September 13, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Arriving off the 'ocean' train, we were feeling tired due to not much sleep. The train was rather like a plane - checked in baggage, anemic aisle lighting and uncomfy seats. Our taxi shuttle took us to our airbnb, albeit rather early (before 7am!), so we located a cafe to have breakfast. We had known Quebec City would be French, but not THAT French! Hardly any English signs and no English menu in the cafe. We racked our brains for the distant French phrases learnt in school - all useful of course?! Armed with phrases such as 'ou est la bibliotheque?', 'je voudrais une gomme' and 'j'ai un chat et une souer', we clumsily ordered a croissant and pain au chocolat. We then checked in and headed in to town. On the way we spotted a black squirrel - who would have known!

    We wandered past several historic buildings, including the iconic hotel, chateaux frontenac, with its turrets and imposing location looking down over the St Lawrence river. The streets in the old town were reminiscent of Europe, seemingly loved by many Canadian tourists. Green copper roofs topped old stone buildings, enclosed by the city walls. We walked along Dufferin terrace and ascended many stairs to reach the Plains of Abraham, an old French-English battleground. The citadel walls were also in view. We took a nap in the sunshine before going for dinner at aux anciens canadiens (yummy maple pudding and a tv in the toilet!).

    In the evening we walked down to catch the short ferry to Levis to watch the sunset. On our way back we passed by the Notre Dame cathedral and several impressive murals.

    Next morning we checked out the local marche and the art museum. Some of the exhibitions required a leap of imagination, a leap we weren't prepared to take! After 40 minutes we decided that modern art wasn't for us and instead chilled out in the hammocks outside. We picked up some grub and cooked in the apartment alongside our hosts, learning about the maternity leave of Quebecers (nearly all the pregnancy if in a physically demanding job, plus a year after the birth and 5 weeks paternity!).

    Next morning we got the public bus to Montmorency falls, taller than Niagara. Bus drivers in Quebec were 'enthusiastic', sending Hugo half way down the bus at one point. We crossed the bridge over the falls and then climbed down several hundred wooden stairs to the bottom of the falls. Completing a circuit of the stairs was clearly a popular local fitness challenge, judging by the lycra and squatting seen! Just before we entered the spray to take a photo, a group of what looked like Amish women in flowery bonnets posed for a snap! We then climbed back up and recovered with a picnic. Back on the bus we made our way to our coach departing for Montreal.
    Read more