Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 51

    Thoughts on Canada

    October 18, 2017 in Canada ⋅ 🌧 9 °C

    So after 47 days making our way east to west across the vast country, via train, plane, automobile (and bus and ferry), we made it to Mile 0, the very start of the Trans Canada highway. We may not have seen a bear, stepped foot inside a Tim Hortons (well, not until the airport), or drowned in litres of maple syrup, but we have had a taster of the culture, sports, languages, sights and food of the Great White North.

    We’ve noted here all of the things that we particularly liked about this country and what makes it so Canadian:

    1. Nature - they have it all. Mountains, forests, ocean, lakes, glaciers. Even the coins make reference to the wildlife, such as a 'loonie’ (dollar with loon bird).

    2. Hostels - we haven't had a bad one. Some with hot tubs and magnificent views, some with timber beams and roaring open fires, and others with no electricity or showers, but all clean, friendly and fun!

    3. Diversity of people - Canadian citizens from all corners of the world seem to unite in their pride for being Canadian. The  east & west coasts were particularly friendly, and the bilingual aspect just added another level of interest.

    4. Recycling - as a nation they seem to be very hot on this - yay! Might be able to teach a thing or two to Mr Trump about environmental protection...

    5. Accent - you only need to get a Canadian to say mirror and route to have a good chuckle to yourself.

    6. Flower beds - just beautiful, and all impeccably maintained.

    7. Good museums - they certainly know how to do a good display or two (with the exception of the modern art museum in Quebec, but only due to it not being to our taste).

    8. The national anthem - listen and you will understand.

    9. Muskoka chairs - the iconic design for this wooden chair popped up in every corner of Canada from East to West, and from public parks to people's porches.

    We’ve also got a few bug bears that have puzzled and frustrated us throughout our trip:

    1. Weighing in lbs. What's wrong with 3 peppers for $2! I have no idea what a pound of blueberries looks like.

    2. Tax and tips - just when you think you've managed to stay on budget, you get the bill or stand at the checkout only to find out there's another few dollars to pay on top. Damn! Then there's the awkward wait whilst you fumble around to find the correct coins, making sure not to hand over a 10 cents that is actually smaller than a 5.

    3. Bus fares - all buses in Canada require you to have the exact change, some not even taking notes. Come on!

    4. Prices - Canada turned out to be more expensive than we had anticipated or budgeted for. It would be difficult to get by on less than £45pp per day if travelling as fast as we did.

    5. Clamato juice - we never tried it and for good reason. Clam juice + tomato juice. Enough said.

    Highlights of Canada:

    - Sitting by the fire in the grand wooden lodge at HI Canmore, overlooking awesome mountain views

    - Living off grid at HI Mosquito Creek, dashing from sauna to creek under a starlit sky

    - Drinking sangria and playing cards and beer pong at Alexandrie hostel

    - Driving the scenic Cabot Trail

    - Learning the hard way how to start a fire in Nova Scotia

    - Canoeing on the Stillwater at Keji

    - Tucking in to delicious poutine on a bench in Fontaine Park

    - Nightime plane spotting with Eric and Sharlene in Toronto

    - Watching our first baseball and ice hockey matches

    - Seeing moose and elk in Jasper

    - Having a waterfall to ourselves at Panther Falls

    - Driving the Icefields Parkway, viewing the turquoise lakes, snowcapped peaks and impressive glaciers

    - Enjoying a gourmet Thanksgiving meal in Whistler

    - Whizzing down the longest zipline in North America

    - Spotting whales and other marine life in Tofino

    - Eating tacos in Tofino and salmon and chips in Victoria

    - Feeding wolfdogs in Yamnuska sanctuary

    Canada has been awesome! Happy 150th birthday! Now to journey down under...
    Read more