Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 88

    Banks Peninsula

    November 24, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Over the green hills and far away Hugo and Marie made their way to Okains Bay. Our first experience of the NZ countryside was reminiscent of the Peaks, but with the addition of beautiful bays. Fields of sheep, cows, and more sheep passed by. Moa made it up some steep, windy roads to reach the summit before winding down again to Okains Bay campground - although the smell of hot brakes after the long descent had us a little concerned. Once we had chosen a nice spot near to the pine trees but without blocking the sunlight for our solar panels, we began converting the seating area into our bed. This would become our daily routine and first attempt took around 20 minutes. We cooked beef steak in the communal kitchen, where three french campers were conforming to the stereotype by having cheese and wine, and then less so with peanut butter and banana on toast. Our sleep was peaceful until around 7am when we were woken by an alarm from the solar monitor telling us the battery was dead - didn't realise we had a built in alarm clock! We ignored it for a while and then got up to turn the fridge off for a while and let the battery charge up some.

    A morning stroll along Okains Bay allowed us to stretch our legs, and with the beach to ourselves it was beautiful. We handed back our pitch number at reception, admiring the cute dog still sat inconspicuously in the bush as he had been when we arrived. Driving back through the small village, we called in at the Maori and colonial museum. For a nominal amount we looked around the various artifacts from European settlers from the last few centuries (including an antique Rowntrees tin) and read about the various tools, traps and wakas (canoes) used by the Maori people . There was an impressive wharenui (Maori meeting house). A good little stop!

    A thick fog had descended over the hilltops and as we drove over to Akaroa, we made the ironic decision to go the scenic route via summit road, as had been mentioned in lonely planet; why I'm not sure as we couldn't even see beyond the roadside. Akaroa was a small village with a French twist; a layover from their attempted colonisation which was a fraction too late. We walked down the rue and peered into the various tourist shops and unwisely chose a pie and milkshake from a cafe, and wished we had walked a little further to the butchers. A wooden jetty poked out into the harbour with views back to the Scandinavian-looking church beyond the houses.

    As it was a glorious late afternoon, we decided to drive back along the highway to find a camping spot. We had a few picturesque photo stops before arriving into Little River, a small hamlet with a library, old railway station, farm shop and an art gallery. We continued on, making a note to return the next day when everything had reopened for business. Using the app 'campermate' we drove  into the countryside and pulled up at an unassuming field. The sign at the campsite notified visitors to find a spot and post money into an envelope to place in the red box, and that the owner would return later that evening - very relaxed! We followed the instructions and then went to explore the grounds. A short walk through the trees took us to a huge slip and slide waterslide and some rope swings. We looped back into the forest to find 'Chinatown’, a film set that had been built for the 2016 film 'The Stolen’. There was an eerie dilapidated piano and several wooden huts on a boardwalk. Pretty cool! We retraced our steps in search of the giant swing, which we found further up the hill. Half a tire on some rope looped over a tree; the sign said to check the knots - reassuring! I scrambled in and swung out over the sun-drenched treetops. After two more goes Hugo couldn't resist and convinced himself that he was within the weight limit and swung out. A simple pleasure but a lot of fun! For tea we cooked up a red Thai curry in the covered kitchen, complete with sofas overlooking the field. A quick trip to the longdrop toilet (an amusing poem inside relaying info about a cup of sawdust for number 2’s) and it was time for bed.

    Next morning there was just enough time to video call everyone at home, giving them an exclusive look at Moa. Back on the road we headed back to Little River to look around the railway station, gallery and farm shop. Next door were a group of silos that had been given a new lease of life as 'silo stays’. Satisfied that we had exhausted the sights of the hamlet, we continued on the road to Birdlings flat, a place recommended by an old man outside the railway station.

    As we came to the end of the road, our eyes were met with the most turquoise of seas, contrasted against the grey pebbled beach. We had the place to ourselves, although maybe little wonder due to the toxic algae warning showing high risk! Despite the warning, just as we were about to leave, and unfortunately just as the camera battery died, rather surprisingly we spotted a black creature jumping through the water. We got quite the show as it travelled from right to left parallel to the beach. As to what it actually was remains debatable, although most likely a seal. A great final memory from Banks Peninsula!
    Read more