Satellite
Show on map
  • Lima, Peru

    October 29, 2019 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    We came out at the Main Square, Plaza Major, home of the presidential palace and the government of Peru. It was guarded by lots of police and military personal, who wore guns and military rifles. There were also the more ceremonial guards who stood at attention within the gates surrounding the palace. Lima is located in the valleys of Chillon, Rimac (talkative) and Lurin rivers.The palace backs onto the Rimac River which may, in its early days, have been pretty but is now a sorry, smelly sight. Most of the government buildings were yellow. In the Plaza there was also La Cathedral that resides on the plot of land that Francisco Pizarro, the Spanish Conqueror, designated for the city’s first church in 1535. Though it retains a baroque facade, the building has been built and rebuilt numerous times: in 1551, in 1622 and after the earthquakes of 1687 and 1746. The last major restoration was in 1940.

    Just past this area was the Casa de la Literature which used to be the Lima railway station until 2009 and is now a theatre and library. Statues of native musical dancers were on display outside the building. We also saw children in a small library within the large library.

    We went to the Basilica and Monastery of San Francisco of Lima and had a tour to see the Catacombs. Other things we saw and learned: The Peruvian Orchid dog is hairless and comes small, medium and large. Good hunters. Pre Inca pets found in the Peruvian northern coastal zone. They cost around $600.00 US.
    Lord of Miracles is a procession that takes place in Lima every October. It is one of the largest religious events in the Americas. The occasion is in remembrance of the events that transpired following a life changing earthquake which took place in Lima in the 17th century. After the quake one of the few things standing was a mural of the crucified Christ, painted by a former slave, on a clay building. It then withstood a second earthquake. This phenomenon was a catalyst to invigorate the Afro-Peruvian people to begin the first Lord of Miracles procession in the 18th century. Today over 2500 people are involved with the procession wearing Purple clothing.
    We saw the soccer stadium that will hold 50,000 for a game or concert.

    We returned to the hotel after a full day, had a nap and then had cocktails in our room with Mike and Judy. Not being able to decide where to go for dinner we stayed at the hotel. We were the only ones in the dining room, but we ordered and had a very mediocre dinner, However, we were so tired it was fine with all of us. Don right to sleep and Lee had a jacuzzi tub before falling into bed around midnight.
    Read more