Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Driving to Andasibe - Impressions

    November 4, 2023 in Madagascar ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    We started early at 7.30am because we'd have to drive 6 hours to our first real overnight stop: Andasibe.
    We got into the bus and, honestly, I was deeply disappointed. It was a small, grey bus without any purple G design on it, with old seats that neither had lots of leg freedom nor any storage space for e.g. your water or phone. You also didn't have a USB-Charger. But hey, at least we could use our own bought water because G didn't even provided us with water in a country that is known for its lack... Oh, but we had to pay for our meals as well... So, very impressive G Adventures (not)!
    Okay, enough ranting and being pissed off. Let's give Madagascar a chance.
    As we left Tana, we saw hundreds and hundreds of policemen and soldiers along the way, as a protest was scheduled for tomorrow. When Seb said, that you would never have so many safety measures in Germany during a protest, I just plainly answered: "Yes, because Germans aren't desperate when protesting, because we have everything and are just complaining about stuff. These people have nothing, they are desperate and desperate people are dangerous because they have nothing to lose."
    Not to be said, that we were quite happy, when we left the Capital behind us.
    Driving through the Malagasy landscapes was weird, as there were lots of dirty, non-picture worthy villages that were crammed with cars and people, showing off the poorest bits of the country. And then there were endless green rice fields situated between mountains that gave you back the will to care. And then you learn about the once called "green island" of Madagascar is nowadays called the "red island", because of all the deforestation the Malagasy already did, showing off the red colored earth that's left behind. On the one hand, you want to be angry about the locals, on the other hand though they are only trying to survive somehow. Even if you'd educate them and show them how necessary the forests are for them (not only for better air, climate change, etc. but for tourism as well), they wouldn't have any other options. The country is just too poor, the politicians do nothing about it and even if they could, I wouldn't think they could do enough. As I said... These people are desperate, and desperate people don't decide for the greater good but for themselves.
    We finally arrived in our Lodge in Andasibe, checked into our bungalows and got some lunch. The afternoon would be free time or you could choose to go to a Community Reserve to see some lemurs. Obviously, this optional activity wasn't included in the tour price either. It would cost another 50.000 Ariary p.p.
    Anyway, we'd do it.
    Read more