Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    A Walk along the Crocodile

    March 6 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Today we were up bright and early at 5am. The reason for this was so we could drive to two trees lookout point almost 4 miles away and then walk along the Kruger National Park border fence.
    After a coffee we set off at 5:45am, it was light outside but sunrise wasn’t for another few minutes. Getting anywhere quick in Marloth Park just isn’t doable. The speed limit on the unmade roads is 10mph but you can only do that if the road has been graded, and the speed limit on the one tar road is 30mph. It would take us 20 minutes to finally reach the look out point at almost 6:10am.
    Once at the lookout we parked our car and headed along the fence line path that borders the Kruger National park and is separated by the crocodile river.
    Straight away we saw hundreds of impala the other side of the river with a herd of Zebra. On our side of the river we had waterbuck right in front of us. A little bit further along we had hippo with babies right infront of us, then the banded mongoose jumped out of the grass right next to us squeezing and chattering as they ran down towards the river. It wasn’t so much of a walk but more of a stop and stare every few feet because there was so much to see. On the way back to the camper we even saw giraffe drinking from the river, it was a pretty good walk.
    At 8:30am we headed back home for some breakfast only to be greeted by a pool cleaner and a lady cleaning the house. We didn’t know anything about these coming so we were a bit shocked and decided to sit in the Brai Area and wait for them to leave.
    The pool guy was done within an hour although I asked him how long does it take to clean our little cuddle puddle and he said 20 minutes, he was much longer than that.
    The cleaner however didn’t leave until 11:30am. If we’d known that we’d have gone out for breakfast.
    While we waited for the cleaner to leave I checked the camera traps and finally I’ve caught both the big and small bushbabies on camera. Not only that I also caught the bats landing on the post eating the banana so I’m quite pleased.
    After some toast and a quick dip in our nice clean pool all the travelling had finally caught up with us and we both lay on the sofa in the lounge and fell asleep for an hour then we headed out again in the camper to drive along the fence line of lionspruit game park here in Marloth to see what we could see and to check out what was over that side of Marloth.
    We didn’t see anything along the fence line probably because it was still 36°c outside but we did come across a piece of parkland that according to the locals is an animal highway and you could see anything there.
    From our drive we headed to the Bos restaurant. It was now 5pm and this is the party place with a live stage area and even a swimming pool and play area for the kids, then at just gone 6pm we headed home to feed the animals and feed the bushbabies and set the camera up.
    Back at our house we already had 2 warthog waiting for us, they were here every night so we’ve called them Wilber and Wilma.
    During the day we have a huge male with floppy ears come to us so he’s called floppy ears and another one with a wonky mouth that makes him look like he has a Cleff pallet so I called him Cleff Richards. We also had a little bushbuck hanging around here all day.
    As soon as I went through the door I grabbed a big load of food to throw down for Wilbur and Wilma. I went back for another load and when I went back out to throw it I was greeted by a huge Wilderbeast. He was also happy with the food but did prefer the sweet potatoes.
    Once the food had gone Frank the Wilderbeast chased off our 2 warthog and just as we thought we were alone we were joined by the little bushbuck. He was on his own and we haven’t named him yet but I had to feed him as he was making me feel guilty. Once the food had gone he stood infront of us looking out down the garden as if he was guarding us for the rest of the night.
    Read more