Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Temple of Heaven

    May 19, 2019 in China ⋅ 🌬 22 °C

    Next on the to-do list was Tian Tan or the Temple of Heaven. This highly symbolic complex of buildings served as the place where the Emperor, as the Son of Heaven, could intercede with the gods. On behalf of his people, the Emperor would make sacrifices and pray to heaven and his ancestors at the winter solstice.

    Set amongst cypress groves and flower gardens, practitioners of Tai chi and other more gentle forms of exercise congregate here, presenting quite the spectacle for passersby.

    From animal sacrifice pavilions to halls of prayer and sacrificial altars, every detail is highly symbolic. Blue represents the colour of heaven, dragon and Phoenix motifs represent the Emperor and Empress, the circular roof symbolizes the sky. And of course red is an imperial colour. As we'd noted from our visit to the Forbidden City, the job of an Emperor is complex and full of ritual. Who would have thought he'd need a separate building complex just to fast prior to sacrifices?

    Also part of this complex was the Divine Musuc Administration, a building housing an impressive array of Chinese musical instruments. From clay Xun (a bit like an ocarina) to magnificent Sen (horizontal string instrument) to humungous lugu (multi-sided drums), this exhibition provided a wonderful demonstration of Chinese musical history. It was well worth the extra 10 yuan (about $2.20).

    After a bit of a rest we headed out for a last meal before joining our tour group the next evening. By chance we chose a highly popular local restaurant hidden amongst the hutong - Dali's Courtyard. What a meal! A set menu of western Chinese cuisine- every one a treat for our tastebuds. At the equivalent of $100, this was expensive by local standards but worth every penny.
    Read more