Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Belem

    October 24, 2015 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    We took a tram ride out to Belém on Wednesday. The "pasteis de nata" that we see throughout Portugal originated in Belem and are known as "pasteis de Belém".

    A little history: At the beginning of the 19th century in Belém, next to the Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, there was a sugar cane refinery linked to a small general store. Following the liberal revolution of 1820, all convents and monasteries in Portugal were shut down in 1834 and the clergy and labourers were expelled. In an attempt at survival, someone from the monastery offered sweet pastries for sale in the shop; pastries that rapidly became known as 'Pasteis de Belém'.

    In 1837, the baking of the 'Pasteis de Belém' began in the buildings adjoining the refinery, following the ancient 'secret recipe' from the monastery. This recipe, passed on and known exclusively to the master confectioners who hand-craft the pastries, remains unchanged to the present day.

    The pastry on these Pasteis de Belém are wonderfully flaky and a little crunchy. The custard is not too sweet. Sprinkled lightly with cinnamon, they are divine. I have no idea how many millions of pasteis they bake up and serve each day but one went happily into my belly and another into Roch's.
    Read more