Satellite
Show on map
  • Evening ride - crossing river banks

    July 16, 2019 in Botswana ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    We all passed the test with our horses, so time for our first ride in the Mashatu Game Reserve towards our lodges (1,5h ride). My horse was called “Hitari” and it was this stunning appaloosa horse that used to be a leading horse. My horse liked it upfront and preferred a good speed. Luckily, I was able to manage it and had pleasant journeys with it!

    Our front guides were called “Mpho” and the back guide “Mmushi”. Mpho was joking that he was the guide leading us towards the danger, and Mmushi leading us away from it if needed. This meant that we had to start at all times in between these two guides to be safe as a herd of horses (remember horses are still a prey for predators such as lions, cheetahs and leopards).

    You wouldn’t believe, but just after take-off from the main camp, we already encountered several giraffes! In South-Africa we had to search for several hours to find them, and here we simply bumped into them after 300 meters. We saw 3 giraffes, with various height and ages. Sometime later, we also saw some ostriches, bush pigs, impalas, kudus and wildebeests. Welcome Botswana!

    Next, some nature obstacles had to be “trained” to the riders, such as crossing river banks. As it was dry winter, all banks were empty and no water to be found. This made it easier to swop between areas and climb down the banks, using them as efficient “high ways” inside the complex bush.

    The horses must always walk downwards at walking pace, because otherwise the horses behind them might get too excited and the riders will lose control on these steep walls. When going back up, the horse is allowed to trot or canter upwards because it’s easier to use the energy of motion. The horses seemed quite used to it, with some exception of younger horses that still had to learn it from the others. We felt safe with our horses and trusted the herd, and that was the most important first lesson learned.

    When arriving in the river bank, you kind of felt vulnerable walking on the bottom of this empty river with all animals higher up watching you. But it was an amazing experience. I remember saying how clean these rivers are, with only shells and little amount of plants to spot.

    Once in a while we could notice big holes into the ground, made by elephants to search for water. These incredible animals have a very good smell, hearing and ground vibration feeling. So, they can smell and sense the water holes in the ground and smash the sandy soil away with their slurves. That’s how I started to understand how clever animals must be to survive the dry winter in this arid environment.

    Finally, we arrived right in time at the camp with the sun setting down. The sky was colouring beautifully red and temperatures started to drop. It was as if a new world was opening up. Welcome to the bush at night!
    Read more