Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 81

    Super Fun Sagrada Familia

    November 23, 2017 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    Woke up a little late so scrapped our day trip plans and instead went for a visit to the Sagrada Familia cathedral. And very glad we did - was awesome. In short, it was stunning - definitely something you can't miss in Barcelona and just a wonder to behold. Very inspiring vision! Best cathedral we've seen (and we've seen a fair few at this point).

    Work started on the cathedral in 1882 and a year later, the 29 year old Antoni Gaudi took over and redesigned all the plans (he switched from the previous architect's run of the mill neo-Gothic plan to his original design). It's still under construction but expected to be finished in 2026, the centenary of Gaudi's death by tram. Really impressive that they're able to continue his work - especially considering how some of his plaster models and drafts got destroyed by bombing during the civil war.

    We went up the Nativity tower which was really nice, and got the audioguide which we'd also recommend - it explained a lot of the symbolism (every feature was both functional and symbolic) and we didn't feel the need for a guide.

    The two complete facades (Passion and Nativity) were impressive in the detail and number of sculptures. Inside was a breathtaking space filled with light and colour and air (inspired by forests). Gaudi was inspired by nature and used some revolutionary concepts and features in the building.

    Wade also bought a cool Sagrada Familia coin from the museum (he's been wanting a cool coin for a while now).

    Beautiful inside and out - was amazing. Afterwards we ate some empanadas and ramen (different places) and Wade got a haircut.
    Read more