Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 49

    Day 2 - Salar de Uyuni Tour

    May 21, 2017 in Bolivia ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Breakfast was at 8am and consisted of pancakes with dulce de leche (a caramel type sauce) which despite being cold were pretty good. We then packed our bags and jumped back into the jeep for our days adventures. We made it about 5 minutes up the road until Ruben shouted "lunch" and did a u turn back to the hostel as he had forgotten our lunch!

    Our first couple of stops were of natural rock formations, Copa del Mundo (a face) and Camello de Roca (a camel). Si and I decided that we wanted to have a picture on top of the camel but didn't anticipate quite how hard it would be to get up or back down again, we nearly got stuck! Fortunately there were people on hand to help us. There was also another rock formation in the shape of a heart.

    On the way to our next stop, some more lagoons, Ruben pointed out lots of llamas and let us stop to try and take some selfies. It turns out llamas are not a massive fan of selfies so it was a lot harder than we anticipated to get one.

    In addition to the llamas, we were also fortunate to see some flamingos (it was a LOT warmer today).

    For the rest of the day Ruben pointed out llamas, they were everywhere! He also decided to nickname Jordan DJ Llama, as he provided us with the days tunes.

    On our next stop, Ruben parked up between some rocks and then gestured for us to follow him up over the rocks. We clambered up behind him and behind the rocks was another gorgeous lake, Laguna Negro. We then walked down around the lake where there were hundreds more llamas!

    After this we stopped for lunch which consisted of tuna, salad, rice and a potato and egg dish which was pretty good. The boys also tried some local beer, one was made with quinoa, another with coca leaf and the third with cactus. The coca leaf one was definitely the nicest.

    After lunch we headed to Cañón del Inca, a huge canyon. Simon didn't hang around on the canyon for long though as he was a little afeared.

    Our final stop of the day was Pueblo de San Agustín which had a railway line where they transported out some of the minerals. We are not entirely sure if it was still being used. There was also a shop where you could try some more of the local beer but as we had already had some at lunch we didn't bother.

    This evenings accommodation was the Hotel de Sal (Salt Hotel) which was made out of salt. This was like the Ritz in comparison to the previous nights lodgings and wasn't freezing which was amazing. We also got to have a really hot shower for 10 bolivianos (approx. £1). It was worth every penny!

    Whilst waiting for dinner, there was a power cut so we sat around and played some cards by torchlight with our fellow tour mates. The power eventually came back on and for dinner we had a starter of soup followed by some chicken, rice and vegetables and a bottle of Chilean wine to share. Within the vegetables was what looked like a normal green pepper but when Simon put it in his mouth it looked like smoke was about to come out of his ears. He said it was the hottest thing he had ever eaten! I'm just glad that he tried to before me so that I could avoid it. I'm not sure I could have coped as I am a right wimp when it comes to spice.

    The hotel was at a slightly lower altitude than the previous evening so we were at around 3,600m. Nick didn't make it to dinner that evening as the altitude sickness had caught up with him and Robert wasn't feeling too peachy either. Fortunately me and Si were still doing ok
    Read more