Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 173

    Day 2 - Cape Tribulation

    September 22, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    The main aim of today was to work on the tan. Before we commenced a day of laziness, snoozing on the beach, we thought we had better do something that involved movement. So, after breakfast we drove around 20 minutes down the road to the Marrdja Botanical Boardwalk which was a short walk through the mangroves. We were hoping to see some crocs but instead we had to settle for some fish. After the walk we headed north to Emmagen Creek, a local swimming spot. The water was freezing so we didn't brave it and instead just took a picture and headed back to the car. There has been very little rain over the last few months here so the creeks aren't as impressive as I imagine they would be during wet season.

    After lunch, we headed to the beach for a few hours and we definitely both fell asleep. I woke up sweating from the heat and because you can't get in the sea to cool off because of the crocs, it wasn't long before we headed back to the hostel for a shower.

    We have had new roommates every day but 2 of them arrived really late which is pretty unusual here as once the ferry stops and it gets dark you can't really go anywhere. Turns out they were planning on camping however they forgot one essential item for a camping trip, the tent! As a result they had been driving around for hours looking for somewhere to stay. They had given up hope and resolved themselves to sleeping in the car but then one of them went so OTT on the bug spray that the car was uninhabitable. Eventually they stumbled upon this place so they were extremely happy to have a bed.
    Read more