Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 162

    Arrival in southern Spain

    November 14, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    We have now completed our journey south, through France and Spain, and have arrived in the Costa del Sol. What better way to start our time here than meeting up with good friends Nigel and Tracey, who have been enjoying living here for the last nine months.

    They live in the foothills of the Axarquīa region, an area of deep valleys, lined with carved out terracing that dates back to Islamic times, as does most of the olive, almond and vines planted here. Reaching their villa meant a winding climb up the steep and narrow roads and then a short drive down an unmade track to their short, steep dirt drive down to the villa. Getting down was no problem.

    We had a week of great company and delicious meals and they were excellent tour guides showing us the best places including local markets and beach restaurants in Torre del Mar where we enjoyed a few hours sipping wine whilst listening to a fantastic Queen tribute band.

    On our walks through the valley, we always took large shopping bags with us to make the most of collecting wood for the evening fire, as whilst it was lovely and hot during the daytime, it got chilly once the sun went down and, with no central heating, the fire kept us toasty. The valley was also home to a large flock of sheep and herd of goats, that were shepherded up and down the hills by the shepherd and his four dogs. The sound of the bells around their necks announced their arrival from afar. Local man, Manolo, made good use of his mule loading it up with four large sacks to transport elsewhere. He's way ahead of us in terms of environmental awareness and efficiency!

    Now getting up and then down to their place worked out fine but getting out was not as straight forward. With his foot hard on the peddle, Chris managed to get the motorhome up the drive and almost through the steel gates before the wheels started spinning and forward progress of stopped. After 20 minutes of inching the motorhome up and forward, the wheels kept on spinning and it was thanks to a local neighbours father, who turned up in his large and powerful 4-wheel drive with tow rope, that we cleared the ever-closer gates! Refusing any financial reward for his efforts, he watched to make sure we got back onto tarmac before driving off with a cheery wave. What lovely people.
    Read more