Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 765

    Trier, Germany's oldest city

    July 10, 2019 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Germany's oldest city, Trier, is home to 9 UNESCO World Heritage sites and has the country's finest collection of Roman monuments. Luckily for us, it was just 15 minutes away from where we were based!

    The Porta Nigra is Trier's most famous landmark, a 2nd century Roman city gate, blackened by time hence the name, Latin for 'black gate'. It is held together by nothing but gravity and iron clamps, but it's still standing.

    Trier is also the birthplace of Karl Marx. The early 18th century house in which he was born is now a museum housing exhibits covering his life, work, allies and enemies. There is also a grand statue commemorating the citys famous citizen.

    At the pedestrian centre was the Hauptmarkt, where you will find small market stalls trading there even today. Medieval and Renaissance buildings surround the square with a 1595 fountain dedicated to St. Peter.

    The Mosel drew us yet again as we walked across Germany's oldest bridge, just like legionnaires on chariots before us. The roman bridge uses 2nd century stone pilings from black basalt from the nearby Eifel mountains.

    The Barbara Baths, name after a former monastery on the site, were built in the 2nd century. The information panels were excellent and gave us a good insight into what these Roman baths would have looked like when they were being used.

    The Romans were certainly very industrious here in the 2nd century and we were very grateful for their efforts that have stood the test of time and are well worth the visit.
    Read more