Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 853

    Medinaceli - Culture Festival

    October 6, 2019 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    We last visited Medinaceli on a cold day two years ago. This time our visit coincided with a Cultural Festival, showcasing some of Spain's most beautiful villages in the region, and the weather was great.

    We wandered around the hilltop town and checked out something we missed last time - a medieval ice fridge, thought to be from around the 8th century, when the Arabs were here. It looked like an enormous igloo made out of rocks and it was here that snow was stored in the winter for use during the warmer season. It was located in the northern part of the town, with metre thick walls for keeping the snow frozen. Amazing.

    In the evening, we attended a concert of pianist and soloist in the beautiful setting of the Palacio Ducal, a 17th century palace with a two-storey Renaissance courtyard and glass roof which was very romantic when the lights were turned off and we looked up to see the stars while listening to the music.

    The next day, the sleepy town jumped to life as coaches from the participating villages turned up for the festival. The arches of the Playa Major became the venue for the village stalls showcasing the best of their destination. We tasted lots of sweet biscuits, wine, cheese, cured meat (which we bought) , stuffed aubergine and a plate of sausage & eggs. A stone mason demonstrated his art and encouraged anyone to have a go. We didn't.

    Music and dance was happening throughout the day. First up was an excellent band of musicians both young and old who played traditional songs through to an Abba and then Santana medley. Next, we were back over to the Palacio Ducal to hear some opera and watch flamenco dancing. There followed the traditional Spanish 2 hour lunch-break and then we were treated to some music and dancing with dancers in traditional costumes.

    Back in the motorhome at the end of a great stay here, we are now trying to work out how we are going to visit all the places we have learned about today, all of which look so inviting.
    Read more