Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    We survived Kings Canyon!

    August 21, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Well, that's how most of us felt by the end but it was worth every step (and I've never seen so many steps!)

    The caravan park was almost empty when we headed out to the Canyon about 9.30am. Unfortunately I forgot my phone so I will have to work out how to send them from my camera before I can put any up! After about an hour of reading information and debating which walk to take we set out on the Rim Walk, the most popular and longest of the one day walks. At 6km long their estimated time was 4 -5 hours.

    We started at 10.30am and what a start! I probably should've counted the steps but I was too busy trying to catch my breath. There must of been a hundred, at least (I'll google that when we have Internet again). It's a very full on start for those of us who aren't fit, but there are plenty spots to stop and catch your breath on the way up and a view to make up for every step.

    For me, one of the most amazing things was the amount of plant life in a place that looks as though nothing should survive. Flowers growing out of the cracks of rocks in the most impossible places. We made our way along the marked trail around ancient stone domes to lookouts with the most incredible view. Just breathtaking. At one of the highest lookouts the girls started testing out the echo!

    The girls did really well, helped along by Jon's promise of Kitkats if they didn't complain. Every time they started to complain he would look at them and they would smile and sing 'we're not complaining, we're just singing. Falalalalala lalalala' to the tune of Deck the Halls.

    Where the walking track crossed near the end of the canyon was alive with birds and trees. You could see small pools of water and huge white trucked trees stretching up from the ground. It was beautiful. We had been told that the Garden of Eden was not to be missed. When we got to the path Joe stayed with the girls to give them a break and Jon and I headed down more stairs with our cameras to have a look. What a place!

    The path takes you to a water hole at the furthest end of the Canyon. You could see where water flows in the wet season to fill he pool, the different colours and textures in the rocks, insects skipping over the water and the sounds of birds singing. There must of been 10 other people down there but it was so quiet. One of the most peaceful places I've ever been.

    Once we walked back up to the rim Joe spotted one of the markers with 3km marking how far along we were. It was 2pm and the sun was getting a real bite to it. With 3km left to go we decided to pick up the pace a little (and not stop to take photos quite as often). It wasn't long before we reached the small bridge that marks the end of the South side walk with a one way gate aimed at only allowing those doing the full Rim walk to go through (but you can open it from the other side if you really wanted to). Past this point the landscape became even more arid and hot with no shade to speak of as the walking path moved away from the rim. It was a much easier and quicker walk but very hot. Not something to attempt without hats, sunscreen and plenty of water.

    The last 3km were completed in abut 40 minutes meaning we completed the entire circuit in a little over 4 hours. We were certainly feeling it by the end. After catching our breath we headed back to the caravan park which had filled with far more vans than the night before. We filled up at the garage, ready for tomorrow's drive. $1.95 per litre. The most expensive so far!

    The extra people was not missed by the local dingos. We didn't bother counting. They were everywhere. Joe saw one jump into the open door of a Britz van and out again very quickly once it realised someone was in there. We also saw one pick up what looked like a butter container from outside the van next door and run off with it. It turned out it was the lady's chilli plant she was trying to regrow after it had been all but eaten by a wallaby at another stop on their trip.

    After a bit of a chat we decided to do a quick clean up and head to bed. Driving again tomorrow and on to Alice Springs!
    Read more