Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Day 10 On an Okavango Delta island

    October 6, 2019 in Botswana ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    Mr K woke the entire camp at 5.00 am and we were soon up . The kettle had been boiled on the fire so we started the day with a hot drink and a rusk. By 5.45 we were down at the mokoros and we were soon ferried the short distance across the channel to start our morning walk.

    Breaking up into the same 4 groups as the previous day we headed off in different directions, led by a guide, with an assistant bringing up the rear. The walk lasted 4 hours in total with frequent stops to observe the wildlife and a mid-walk halt where we sat in the shade on the side of a termite mound.

    Most groups saw the same animals but obviously in different circumstances. Our group came across a herd of 12 giraffe, with a similar number of zebra nearby, as well as impala. Continuing our walk we saw warthog, a Secretary bird, 3 bushbuck, a large herd of buffalo and a herd of wildebeest. In the distance we saw elephants.

    On our return we saw smaller groups of the same animals as the heat of the day began to rise and animals sought cover. Back at camp we were welcomed by one of Munya’s amazing breakfasts.

    For the rest of the day, apart from lunch at 1.00, we either sought shade and read or played loud, noisey games, or dozed: while some did wash/swim in the waterhole or try their hand at poling a mokoro.

    By 5.00 pm we were all aboard our mokoros and were taken by our polers along a nearby watercourse . Round the corner we sat and watched 5 elephants move across in front of us from one bank to the other. There were herons and long-tailed shrike, and water lilies in the wider sections of the channel.

    As the sun neared the horizon we arrived at a large expanse of water inhabited by 8 hippos. We sat, in our mokoros, close to the reeds and watched the hippos sink and resurface, and the sun ball slowly disappear. It was a beautiful setting and a stunning scene.

    In the gathering gloom, we returned to camp where Munya had prepared a great ‘African’ meal. He has certainly done us proud and there has always been ample available.

    After dinner water was sprinkled on the sand around the campfire and the polers gathered for songs and dances, entertaining the group. There were some great acts, the highlights of which were ‘the old man’ dance and the ‘frog dance’. We ended the polers contribution by having a black and white song (polers and Oxleyans mixed),’Beautiful Africa’.

    Oxley decided to sing to the polers and they were entertained by the School Song and the School Hymn, followed by Advance Australia Fair.

    It had been another day of memorable, but exhausting , experiences and it was not difficult to persuade everyone to go to bed.
    Read more