Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 169–170

    Cycling day 6: Tosa -> Oboke Gorge

    April 29 in Japan ⋅ 🌧 19 °C

    Because it's Golden Week we have been staying at basically anywhere within striking distance that we can afford. Means we have had our route essentially decided for us but at least today wasn't quite as long - 77km and 580m ascent.

    We headed into Kochi and stopped after about an hour to try the local delicacy of straw seared bonito (katsuo no tataki). We were joined by what seemed to be half of japan all already drunk by 10.30am and were then interviewed on local news about our opinions on the local food...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxpvs4C74UY

    Onwards as we had places to get to. It started raining so head down and climbing up into the hills but we made good progress and as we got towards Oboke Gorge the hills got bigger and the scenery more dramatic. A very beautiful place to stay with the sound of a waterfall next to us.

    Our accommodation was the priciest so far thanks to lack of choice but we had a very cosy comfortable Tatami room and most of the house to ourself, so we cooked a tasty omurice dinner with the biggest spring onions in the world.
    Read more