Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Amelia by Paulo Airaudo

    May 9 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    ***lengthy food post no.2***

    After 10 nights of basque cuisine, beer, cider, and pinxtos, it was time for a fine dining experience. And tonight, it was Amelia, located within Villa Favorita near La Concha Bay.
    Chef, Paulo received his 2nd Michelin star in 2021. He was present throughout the night, keeping a close eye, adding finishing touches, and chatting to guests.
    We were seated at the long bench over looking the kitchen. It was great watching the staff focussed on their individual jobs and move somewhat silently around the kitchen.
    The dishes combine the essence of Basque culinary tradition with subtle Italian and Asian influences.
    The Amuse-bouche were delightful. Flavourful mouth bursts, especially the tuna with wasabi and caviar.
    The pigeon was my favourite dish from the mains with the king crab, with barnacles and Iberian pork coming in close behind. The pigeon meat was so tender, and the jus was silky rich.
    Was not a fan of 'The Cheese'. I would prefer the traditional cheese board. The other dessert was a confusing mix of flavours. I do not think caviar, banana, and rum go together at all!! Fortunately, the little petit fours were delicious!
    Wine matching was great, and I feel very lucky to have tried a d'Yquem and a 1959 Tempranillo from Rioja.
    Amelia and chef Paulo Airaudo definitely a worthy recipient of 2 Michelin Stars.
    Read more